Ladder Test Results - 30 Nosler - 215 Hybrids

@Longtine88 would you happen to have a picture of your loaded Alamo 30 Nosler round with a Berger 215? I just got mine and feel it is really short.

My CBTO to lands with a 215 is 2.697. I feel this is extremely short? Right? Here is a loaded round with 215's at .010 off lands.

My Redding seating doesn't even like to seat them that deep lol. The first time I run it through the die I have to rerun it through because the first pass doesn't seat them all the way - that might be a die problem though I guess. For example to get to my 2.687 (.010 off lands) my first pass with the seating die would measure 2.7++ - then I would just lower the ram and do it again to get to the 2.687
2.775" CBTO with a 215 is what am using

What is your COAL?
Which and how much powder are you using?
What are you using to get your OAL?
What are you using for a comparator? If it's an $8.00 Hornady that costs $.08 to build in China you could have that much difference from someone else's to yours. CBTO with these is a terrible way to share information.

What is your COAL?
Which and how much powder are you using?
What are you using to get your OAL?
What are you using for a comparator? If it's an $8.00 Hornady that costs $.08 to build in China you could have that much difference from someone else's to yours. CBTO with these is a terrible way to share information.
COAL is around 3.462 with Berger 215's. Note this is a measurement on a round that is .010 CBTO off lands. So maybe add roughly another .010 to get COAL to lands of around 3.472?

H1000 - started at 78 and worked up to 83 in .5gr increments- just one of each for a pressure test

Hornady comparator and modified case.

It looks like you have a short throat in your chamber. This is why I recommend getting your own reamer When building a custom rifle.

Is this new brass?
As far as the bullet is seating into the case, not only could you be compressing powder but you run the risk of donut interference. Are you using the resizing button on your die to set neck interference or are using a bushing and/or mandrel?

When I was looking at building a 30 Nosler I want to say I was looking to seat the bullets somewhere between 3.650 - 3.700 COAL to get the bearing surface above the neck/shoulder junction.

Have you tried 3.5-3.55 COAL?
Yes - see below. This will chamber, but it is tough and you can see the marks on the bullet - so this is definitely jammed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115_100445_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_100445_Gallery.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20230115_100436_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_100436_Gallery.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20230115_100433_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_100433_Gallery.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 41
It looks like you have a short throat in your chamber. This is why I recommend getting your own reamer When building a custom rifle.

Is this new brass?
As far as the bullet is seating into the case, not only could you be compressing powder but you run the risk of donut interference. are you using the resizing button on your die to set neck interference or are using a bushing and/or mandrel?

When I was looking at building a 30 Nosler I want to say I was looking to seat the bullets somewhere between 3.650 - 3.700 COAL to get the bearing surface above the neck/shoulder junction.
Definitely agree. Like real short. Just wish APR would have something better for a 30N and Berger 215.

Brand new ADG. Powders not compressed- I can shake it and hear it all moving around.

Neck tension is set with redding bushing die @ .002

Definitely agree. Like real short. Just wish APR would have something better for a 30N and Berger 215.

Brand new ADG. Powders not compressed- I can shake it and hear it all moving around.

Neck tension is set with redding bushing die @ .002
I would be concerned if you can hear powder shaking around, especially with the bullet that deep in the case. I'll be interested to see how your ES/SD looks when you do shoot it.

Regarding neck tension, did you determine bushing size from a case with the bullet seated or some other method?