30 nosler ladder test

Barehandlineman11

Did my ladder test yesterday and was surprised by what I got. I started off at 88.3 gr and worked my way up to 92gr of n570 I started to see a node at 91-92 impact was close and velocity was close. But I'm seeing 3340 In velocity there with 196 hammers and ADG brass. How much speed is to much for the throat? Btw it's kelby action and Kreiger 28 barrel

Ya I was impressed and wondered if I should back it off don't want to burn up the barrel

Attachments

• 4E435698-9C43-4072-B220-930EC167F7AE.jpeg
    4E435698-9C43-4072-B220-930EC167F7AE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
not even close to being true
Changing to a somewhat cooler burning powder like H1000 will make more difference than backing the load off a grain. Backing it off a couple of grains will also put him out of his node. From what I understand 570 burns pretty hot. It is what it is. You don't load big overbore cartridges for barrel life. You load them for the best performance you can get, which is the load that puts you in the high node. Barrels are a consumable. Don't get it hot by shooting strings and it will last as long as it will.... Then rebarrel. If you want barrel life get a .308 Win.

I'll just hammer through it until she's done then

Yep, go for it. As long as you know what to expect. Some very reputable gun builders are seeing half the barrel life when using N570 compared to other powders with lower heat indexes such as H1000. I personally use RL33 which will produce the same speeds but offers much better barrel life

Troy, that is tremendous velocity, congratulations!

With hunting rifles, if you work up a load, sight in, then hunt verifying zero from time to time, barrels will last a while. You chase the lands and will get some kind of idea of how much leade growth per 100 rounds.

Save your money, order a barrel ahead of time, they don't eat much sitting in the closet or put them on a shelf where you can enjoy looking at them. Barrels can take 3-4 Months to get when ordered....plan ahead!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.