Ladder Test Results - 30 Nosler - 215 Hybrids

I know for a fact mine is based off of my conversations with the guys when I specd it out (which oddly seems like a vastly different experience than you are having for some reason). When I talked to Robert about that specifically I agreed that the SAMMI chamber was fine and if I didn't get the performance then I would have them recut a deeper throat.
Interesting. I should just give them a call and talk to Robert. All of my communications have been with Jimmy. Don't get me wrong, he has been great to work with, but I'm perplexed that he doesn't have any more information on the 230 reamer or cutting the throat more.

Interesting. I should just give them a call and talk to Robert. All of my communications have been with Jimmy. Don't get me wrong, he has been great to work with, but I'm perplexed that he doesn't have any more information on the 230 reamer or cutting the throat more.
Yeah that's strange to me. Robert definitely knows what's going on, it's his shop. Every time I've talked to him he has answered my questions above and beyond. I've never talked to a jimmy there but also have not called them for about a year and half.

Yeah that's strange to me. Robert definitely knows what's going on, it's his shop. Every time I've talked to him he has answered my questions above and beyond. I've never talked to a jimmy there but also have not called them for about a year and half.
So Jimmy talked to Robert and Todd and neither of them can find the 30 Nosler spec sheet for the Berger 230's.

He mentioned that the 230 reamer they use for the 30-28 Nosler is a freebore of .280 and the normal 30-28 reamer is .190. Could they just use the 30-28 normal reamer for my 30 Nosler?

So long story short, I'm hesitant to do anything besides SAAMI because they are so unsure of it over there. At this point, I'm considering just running with SAAMI and maybe adding more freebore down the read if needed.

So Jimmy talked to Robert and Todd and neither of them can find the 30 Nosler spec sheet for the Berger 230's.

He mentioned that the 230 reamer they use for the 30-28 Nosler is a freebore of .280 and the normal 30-28 reamer is .190. Could they just use the 30-28 normal reamer for my 30 Nosler?

So long story short, I'm hesitant to do anything besides SAAMI because they are so unsure of it over there. At this point, I'm considering just running with SAAMI and maybe adding more freebore down the read if needed.
Can you send them a dummy round and have them throat the chamber deeper to fit? Seems like a common practice for a custom rifle.

Can you send them a dummy round and have them throat the chamber deeper to fit? Seems like a common practice for a custom rifle.
His response regarding that: "There is an option I have kind of avoided talking about: We do have a throating reamer that we can use to set the FB where you'd like. We usually do not like to use two sets of tooling (Chamber Reamer and Throating Reamer) unless necessary. More than likely the easy way to set up the right dimensions for you is for you to load up a dummy round and send it to us and we can confirm measurements. If you would like to go down this path, Robert is best at explaining the pros, cons, and concerns with doing this. I can have him give you a shout if you'd like?"

So yes it seems like they do that. Now would I just load a bullet so the bearing surface is just above the neck shoulder junction and is that what I would send?

Buy your own reamer. Send a case with the bullet of your choice seated at the depth you want to the reamer maker.

Then there is no guessing.

His response regarding that: "There is an option I have kind of avoided talking about: We do have a throating reamer that we can use to set the FB where you'd like. We usually do not like to use two sets of tooling (Chamber Reamer and Throating Reamer) unless necessary. More than likely the easy way to set up the right dimensions for you is for you to load up a dummy round and send it to us and we can confirm measurements. If you would like to go down this path, Robert is best at explaining the pros, cons, and concerns with doing this. I can have him give you a shout if you'd like?"

So yes it seems like they do that. Now would I just load a bullet so the bearing surface is just above the neck shoulder junction and is that what I would send?
Don't over think it. Stick with the SAAMI chamber. Any gains perceived or real will be negligible.

Don't over think it. Stick with the SAAMI chamber. Any gains perceived or real will be negligible.
Yeah I think that might be my best route. His response did not seem like they really like doing this at all and seem to avoid if it at all possible. I guess at the end of the day if I can still shoot a Berger 215 at 2,900 fps+ then it will have no issues killing whatever I need it too lol. The benefit to is additional freebore could always be added in the future.

That just gives me more motivation to build a 338 Lapua Improved or 338 Terminator to supplement this Nosler lol. That should push a 300gr Berger at 3,000 fps.

When I make dummy rounds, I seat the bullet so there's .200-.250 of bullet in the neck with the bullet at the lands. This will let me jump .010-.050 off and not be below the neck/shoulder junction in 90% of cartridges. I don't get wrapped up or worried about not enough bullet in the neck or whatever. I use .003-.004 neck tension on everything anymore and benchrest and F-Class guys run .200-.250 of bullet in the necks all the time so it must not hurt precision. I would prefer a reamer to be made with the desired amount of freebore from the start, but when a good setup and everything is dialed within .0002 or less, there shouldn't be a problem using a throating reamer. I'm anal and like my chambers to be optimized for my intended bullets and use. I don't like having bullets shoved way down in the case. I like them just right.

IMO if you are just going to use a SAAMI chamber, why waste time and money on a custom rifle? There are many rifles that will shoot sub MOA off the shelf.
I can tell you with complete confidence that buying a gun off the shelf you have a 0% chance of having it shoot or have the quality of build and components you will get from a custom build. You could also say why spend the money on a custom build when you can run a throat reamer down an off the shelf rifle.

I can tell you with complete confidence that buying a gun off the shelf you have a 0% chance of having it shoot or have the quality of build and components you will get from a custom build. You could also say why spend the money on a custom build when you can run a throat reamer down an off the shelf rifle.
I've use a throating reamer. They work but you are introducing a different tooling into the chamber which may or may not be as precise.

I can tell you with complete confidence custom rifles can and do go out the door and don't perform to expectations either, and they cost a lot more money.

Personally I would not waste my time on a custom with a. 100% SAAMI 30 Nosler. There is definitely performance left on the table trying to stuff it in a standard action not to mention the other negatives of having a bullet stuffed that deep in the case.