Input wanted on a ladder test

There's really no reason to "think" they are close to the same, unless those two bullets have the exact same ogive, length, depth of seating, etc. then they more than likely are not.
Properly measuring the round for the COAL number in the worst case scenario (use any of a several methods) you intend to load is the only way.
Just a thought on my part, I'm sure you're no beginner from what you've asked and what you've related to us.

cdennyb,

You are correct. And, I like accurate measurements. However, you have to start somewhere with your load testing.

As Mikecr pointed out in another thread, knowing the exact distance to the lands is not nearly as important as finding the distance that meets your accuracy objective and then being consistent with your seating depth. ...which ideally does benefit from accurate (relative) measurements so that you're not jumping all around.

It seems that now would be the time to try more samples with one or both of the precieved nodes and begin tuning the seating depth.

-- richard

Last edited:
There's really no reason to "think" they are close to the same, unless those two bullets have the exact same ogive, length, depth of seating, etc. then they more than likely are not.
Properly measuring the round for the COAL number in the worst case scenario (use any of a several methods) you intend to load is the only way.
Just a thought on my part, I'm sure you're no beginner from what you've asked and what you've related to us.

Now you are shaming me into having to clean that gun and doing a proper measurement. :D

I will likely not do much more with this load since I have a good load with the 140 Partition. I have the scope set up with dots for 300, 400 and 500 yards for that load. I don't really know what the 130 will do that the 140 will not.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.