.30 GIBBS is finally ready ...

adjust your quickload. the pressures are off
pressure from 47933 to 60000
capacity to 73.9
bore cross section from .073641 to.74499
remember being a wildcat the settings are conservative
RL-16, RL-17,H4350 are going to be your friend for the 165-195 class bullets

(NOTE: Please disregard the un-mowed grass, I fertilized the day before and it is wet from 2-days of rain, ... mowing this weekend. That's my story and I am sticking with it. 😇 )

Factory Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 ($575) re-chambered to .30 Gibbs ($250, including muzzle threading bead blasting and installation of MB), 4-port Ross Schuler MB ($37), Warne high scope rings ($50), 20 MOA EGW rail ($70), and topped with USO TS-12 3-12 FFP ($325).

View attachment 192716
View attachment 192714
View attachment 192715
View attachment 192718
(This is my lightest scope hunting rifle thus far, average 10-12 lbs).

I managed to make it to the range yesterday to do some fire-forming ...

View attachment 192717
(From L-R: .35 Whelen virgin brass, after re-sizing, fire-formed with 11g WSF (COW method), and after re-sizing).

Not sure what to load at this time but I have the following bullets readily available Berger 190/210/215/230, Hornady ELD-X 178/212/220 and 208 A-Max, I'm sure I got more just too lazy to dig through. Too many to list on powder choices. ;)

Now the load development fun begins ..................................................................................................................... I just hope, I find the time to do it.

ADDED:

Just for the record, I am in no way trying to convince anyone to build a .30 Gibbs or compare it to a similar improved version. My goal is to simply add to the knowledge base in the forum. If you do a quick search, there is hardly any information about it and they tend to die off. Hopefully, those that have .30 Gibbs that remained quiet will engage and share their experiences.

Would you mind expounding on this process a little. Where two different sets of dies required? I am familiar with fire forming but what dies did you use to do the first resize and what dies for finish sizing? What is COW method. forgive my questions. There are several wildcats out there I have wanted to play with but I am new to this aspect of loading. 6.5-06 is another.

I thought so too. I have one of Ross's original 3-port version. Dave Young is my go-to gunsmith. Thanks!
Ross has been one of my best friends for 15 years. Great guy and heck of a fisherman. I have always used his brakes. Price is great and they work

As for the freebore, I'm curious if it is like the '06 and has none, or what it is. What brand of reamer? I'll email because I'm wanting to upgrade an '06 I built

Last edited:
Would you mind expounding on this process a little. Where two different sets of dies required? I am familiar with fire forming but what dies did you use to do the first resize and what dies for finish sizing? What is COW method. forgive my questions. There are several wildcats out there I have wanted to play with but I am new to this aspect of loading. 6.5-06 is another.

I will respond to you via PM.

Ross has been one of my best friends for 15 years. Great guy and heck of a fisherman. I have always used his brakes. Price is great and they work

As for the freebore, I'm curious if it is like the '06 and has none, or what it is. What brand of reamer? I'll email because I'm wanting to upgrade an '06 I built

The reamer came from https://4drentals.com/product/30-gibbs/, they should be able to answer your question better than I can.

Wow! Talk about timing. I have a 700 in 300 WM that I have wanted to "do" something with. I didn't really intend to purchase this rifle. I wanted a back up rifle for an elk hunt. When I went to return the borrowed rifle, my friend said "Why don't you just give me $300.00 dollars and keep it". Came with a couple hundred rounds of brass and over a hundred fifty loaded rounds and a Leupold VX 3 3X9 scope. I didn't want to insult him and not take it. He passed away a few years back and I don't want to part with the rifle. I have been cogitating about what to do with it as I am not a fan of the 300 WM.
What a great idea.
Great looking setup. I am looking forward to your future posts on velocity, bullet and accuracy. Keep it going!
You will need to get a new bolt if you want to convert a .300 WM to a .30 gibbs

Cant see any advantage over the 300 Ultra Mag. Whats the point?
Well, several. 1, brass is more plentiful and cheap. 2. barrels last longer. 3. did I mention recoil. 3. more versiatile, many bullets won't perform well at RUM velocities. 4. cheaper to shoot, more reloads per pound of powder and cheaper bullets. 5. more cartridges in the magezine. But, hey, I'm not knocking the .300 RUM. I have one of those too. Along with two .300 SAUMs and three 30-06s. And besides all that, it's cool.