.30 GIBBS is finally ready ...

I've tried COW fireforming and it was pretty frustrating. It seemed like a simple idea, but the stuff was a mess. I failed at getting the case necks sealed off well with the toilet paper and had a couple cases dump that crap all inside my action. I also was expecting to be able shoot 100 rounds relatively quickly but man, the barrel got hot fast. How did your COW fireforming go?
I Use bar soap for cap on the COW

Sorry, I do not know what the actual free bore with the standard reamer. Perhaps somebody else might answer that question. The barrel has a 1:10" twist. I have 215s and 230s but not the 245s. I know I can stabilize the 215s and 230s esp at my altitude but I will save the 215s and heavier for more suitable chambering like my .300 WM/WSM (215s) and .30 LARA (215s, 230s, and 245s).

Sniff, I was really hoping to see some loads in your Gibbs using 208gr or 215gr bullets. Very cool rifle btw.

Guys, the 30 Gibbs can almost duplicate a 300 WinMag w/180 gr bullets. Once you get well over that, you need a large 30 caliber magnum to get decent velocity.

A guy on here posted getting 2850 fps with a standard 06 with either a 208gr or 215gr bullet. He had a 28" barrel so it would be interesting to see a 215gr in a Gibbs.

A guy on here posted getting 2850 fps with a standard 06 with either a 208gr or 215gr bullet. He had a 28" barrel so it would be interesting to see a 215gr in a Gibbs.

I have all the bullets you mentioned but my 1st goal is to explore the 178/180 weight range first and then venture from there. Hornady 10th ed shows a conservative velocity of 2650 FPS with the 208g out of 23 3/4' barrel. At 28" gaining approximately 100 FPS, 2850 FPS is probably about right.

Awesome rig!!! I love the 30 Gibbs. I stupidly traded a 30 Gibbs built off a Win 70 CRF for a 260. That thing would shoot 30-06 FGMM 1/2" all day at 200 yds. The only gun I regret getting rid of and have searched high and low for it in where I used to live. Congrats on the new rig.

Awesome rig!!! I love the 30 Gibbs. I stupidly traded a 30 Gibbs built off a Win 70 CRF for a 260. That thing would shoot 30-06 FGMM 1/2" all day at 200 yds. The only gun I regret getting rid of and have searched high and low for it in where I used to live. Congrats on the new rig.

Thank you! Please feel free to share any pertinent information on .30 Gibbs. Cheers!

Ed

Very nice rifle!!

I've read a little about improved .30 06 cases recently and have been thinking it would be nice to have a cartridge that has just slightly more oomph than the standard .30 06. It seems that the AI version gives people varied results and is mostly beneficial to those with a longer barrel.

How would the .30 gibbs do in a 22" barrel? Would the benefit of reaming the chamber of a .30 06 to .30 gibbs still be there with this short of barrel?

Also, I've been wondering about how effective the improved .30 06 wildcats are in various factory barrels. For example Tikkas are known to have a long throat, or freebore, or jump... whatever the correct term is. The 300 PRC was designed to have a longer head height to fit the really heavy for caliber bullets while keeping the bullet out of the powder column. I'm wondering, would it be smart to rechamber a Tikka .30 06 into a .30 gibbs in order to be able to use the heavier bullets without having the bullet in the powder column and not have the bullet seated into the lands? Of course then you'd be stuck with the 22.5" barrel.

I'm not planning to do this any time soon, as I love my .30 06. I've just been dreaming about a "someday" gun.

Ryan, back in the 90's I and one other fella did 30 G's. His was 22", mine 23" we were pretty much 100 fps over the plain Jane 06 (course we had no way to pressure test). Pretty much a 06 Ackley. Cept the AI is easier to form.

Fun project, glad I did it once...:)

Like most of the things we do, it's cause we want and that's all we should need.