.30 Gibbs

I have to take the gun smith's word. Just got it last night and haven't taken it down. Smith said it was stamped on the barrel. Not anywhere I can see. But this is one of the nicest rifles I have ever seen. As you can see it's a Belgium FN. I think it's a Mauser action. I'm no expert...just a lover.

That's why I have to ask.

Can I ask a big favor. If I download the photos they are thumbnails that show no detail. Can you please mail them to tripodmvr and just add the gmail bit.

Thanks

I love my .30 Gibbs. I neck out 30-06 brass to .338 then resize it in a 30-06 die until it chambers in the Gibbs with bolt resistance. Then I just fire form with 30-06 starting loads using a faster powder so I don't have so much. You could also neck down .35 Whelen brass,but I would use an intermediate .338 die first. I have found that I can use H414 with full cases and no pressure signs. BTW, supposedly P.O. Ackley would simply fire form 30-06 ammo in the M98. The extractor claw would hold the case for reliable ignition and firing. I never tried it because my Gibbs is built on A M700 action and I would be really leery of trying it anyway. If I did try it, I would have the bullet seated out so it would be jammed into the lands to help hold the case tight against the bolt face. Personally, I would use the neck up-neck down method which holds the case against the bolt face. Also, case capacity is almost identical to the .30 Short mags new you get more reliable feeding plus you have advantage of having one more round in the magazine.

I love my .30 Gibbs. I neck out 30-06 brass to .338 then resize it in a 30-06 die until it chambers in the Gibbs with bolt resistance. Then I just fire form with 30-06 starting loads using a faster powder so I don't have so much. You could also neck down .35 Whelen brass,but I would use an intermediate .338 die first. I have found that I can use H414 with full cases and no pressure signs. BTW, supposedly P.O. Ackley would simply fire form 30-06 ammo in the M98. The extractor claw would hold the case for reliable ignition and firing. I never tried it because my Gibbs is built on A M700 action and I would be really leery of trying it anyway. If I did try it, I would have the bullet seated out so it would be jammed into the lands to help hold the case tight against the bolt face. Personally, I would use the neck up-neck down method which holds the case against the bolt face. Also, case capacity is almost identical to the .30 Short mags new you get more reliable feeding plus you have advantage of having one more round in the magazine.
That's great information but I'm not a reloaded... we'll not yet anyway. I'm in love with this rifle and I want to shoot it. I'm glad to hear that you like yours because it seems like most people think it's a useless caliber. I know it hurts the value of the gun but I'm not looking to sell anyway. I contacted RCC to see if they have brass. I'm not in a hurry. I look at it like I just bought a 1968 GTO. I'm going to have to do some work to it. It'll be a labor of love. Was even thinking that I might have to change out the barrel or rechamber it. I've only had it two days. I've got time. Keeping it original appeals to me.

Yep..that did it. Impressive gun and i'm so surprised that you changed it to 30 caliber Gibbs. Your brass looks beautiful… You obviously know what you're doing. You've given me a new Hope for my rifle. Time is the one thing I don't have. I work all the time… Seven days a week 10 to 12 hours a day. I am a safety inspector on pipeline projects. I'm thinking of retiring in a year. Possibly then I will have time and space to get into reloading. Right now I'm living in a fifth wheel camper.

Here's an update on my 30 cal. Gibbs.
Pete, at Quality Cartridge, has sent brass to Bob, at Colorado Custom Cartridge. I packed up my rifle and shipped it to Bob, who confirmed that this custom FN 30 Gibbs is one beautiful, and incredibly made, rifle. I just got off the phone with Bob and the cartridges have not arrived yet but my tracking number says it should be today. I also sent a set of dies to Bob.
I want to thank everyone on this site who has helped me get this journey started. Bob will check the head space and make sure everything is right. I will post, from time to time, and keep everyone up to date on our progress.
Thanks again,

Philip

Recent Posts