finaly finished the 6.5 gibbs

Ridge Runner

ok after alot of trial and error I finaly loaded my first LR hunting loads for the 6.5 gibbs. after turning the necks and reworking bullet seating many times I came up with the following
rem cases, fed 210m primers, 61 gr of re22, and a 140 gr a-max
mv is a surprising 3350 fps, sighted in at 300 my 500 yd drop is 3.75 MOA, at 1k its 17 moa. After 5 months of working with this thing Its finaly coming around, the man that built it did tell me pressures would drop as more rounds went downrange till it round count was approx 200 rds.
JS

Refresh my memory, but what exactly is the Gibbs cartridge line? Whats the parent case and any altering changes?? Sounds like a very good 6.5" caliber for LR targets/deer for sure.

270 win is the parent case, the shoulder is moved forewardfar enough to allow a .308 neck and sharpened to 35-40 degrees, don't know which. here's a pic of the gibbs and its parent
100_0288.jpg

JS

JS,
I knew it would work out. You are getting 100fps more than me with 1 full grain less RE22.
What are the groups looking like?
Is the brass holding up to several loadings?
Wait till you see what it does to a deer. It is just magical.
Congrats.
Dave

I like it!!

Good work, great patience. It sure looks like 1K plus muley cartridge and should do well on ol wapiti out there a ways also.

Good huntin'!

Yeah rem, the original gibbs line were all based on the 30-06 case removing most of the body taper, moving the shoulder foreward to allow one caliber of neck length. Ray had his reamer built using a 270 case length due to him building alot of 1k bench guns and the br shooters wanted the .046" longer neck of the 270, the 270 case also has a higher saami pressure rating but I'm thinking thats because of the smaller diameter bullet
JS

Dave,
I really haven't done much bench work but from what I've saw the thing will shoot about anything, put a 3 shot group on a rock at 500 last week that was around 2", the groups that I shot that were way over pressure were sub 1/2 moa, so as time allows I'll let ya know, right now I got gobblers to hunt!
JS

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.