.30 GIBBS is finally ready ...

Looks like a cool build! The Gibbs calibers have a cool vintage-tech feel about them that gets me excited. I've been debating on a 30 cal build and I just picked up a set of 30 Gibbs dies from "Crystalgaleguy" which sealed my decision. Now I am really looking forward to your results! I'm thinking I might extend the throat on my Gibbs chamber to optimize seating of the stockpile of 208 amax bullets I have... Do you know what throat length you have ?

That's cool! I remember the thread and I am glad you decided on the .30 Gibbs. I am not sure of the actual throat length, I did not ask my gunsmith to be throated for anything.

Now it makes sense why @crystalgayleguy asked me if I have the .30 Gibbs dies. ;)

I wonder what the throat length will be? I know the cartridge was designed back in the light n fast days, so it may be relatively short for sending 150 type bullets really fast, but that would really just depend on what reamer your smith picked.

The 30 gibs is actually the cartridge that got me interested in wildcats, I remember seeing it in one of my fathers magazines back when I was just a little guy, 7 or 8, and thinking "wow that is strange looking!! The neck is so short!!" So I begun the "why?" Questions with my father, and began learing about increased shoulder angle, forming brass, increasing performance and case life by case design, etc.

Shortly after I first began learning about it from my father, he started getting rifles built again, starting with a 35 whelen AI on a eddystone enfield action, an 8mm-06 out of a small ring mauser 98 using the original stepped barrel, he just had the 8mm mauser chamber reamed out with a 30-06 reamer, and a 6.5x55 sweed on the same type of action, and most recently a .264 win mag on a ruger action that used to be a 300 win mag. All have been great shooters, and he has kept me involved as I grew up, so I learned how a rifle was built. Then the first rifle I ever built instead of bought, was a .260 AI, and I absolutely love it.

While I know it is certainly not, specifically in my mind the 30 gibs has always been the "first" wildcat, simply because it was the first one I personally started learning about, and what initially sparked my interest in the subject.

Very neat build, I love the idea of taking a factory rifle and putting minimal investment in, and making an outstanding unique build. While $3,000+ rifles are cool and I love them, I think (likely because of my father building off $150 military mausers) the guns like this are far more unique.

(NOTE: Please disregard the un-mowed grass, I fertilized the day before and it is wet from 2-days of rain, ... mowing this weekend. That's my story and I am sticking with it. 😇 )

Factory Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 ($575) re-chambered to .30 Gibbs ($250, including muzzle threading bead blasting and installation of MB), 4-port Ross Schuler MB ($37), Warne high scope rings ($50), 20 MOA EGW rail ($70), and topped with USO TS-12 3-12 FFP ($325).

View attachment 192716
View attachment 192714
View attachment 192715
View attachment 192718
(This is my lightest scope hunting rifle thus far, average 10-12 lbs).

I managed to make it to the range yesterday to do some fire-forming ...

View attachment 192717
(From L-R: .35 Whelen virgin brass, after re-sizing, fire-formed with 11g WSF (COW method), and after re-sizing).

Not sure what to load at this time but I have the following bullets readily available Berger 190/210/215/230, Hornady ELD-X 178/212/220 and 208 A-Max, I'm sure I got more just too lazy to dig through. Too many to list on powder choices. ;)

Now the load development fun begins ..................................................................................................................... I just hope, I find the time to do it.

ADDED:

Just for the record, I am in no way trying to convince anyone to build a .30 Gibbs or compare it to a similar improved version. My goal is to simply add to the knowledge base in the forum. If you do a quick search, there is hardly any information about it and they tend to die off. Hopefully, those that have .30 Gibbs that remained quiet will engage and share their experiences.

Using the 35 Whelen as a parent case Is the best way to start in my opinion and if you can get/find once fired 35 Whelen brass you are just one step closer to sizing down to 30 cal.

I prefer fire forming the Gibbs the same way as the 30/06 AI. (Size the cases .004 thousandths longer than the chamber so there is slight compression in the new chamber) and load middle of the range loads for the cartridge and fire form. This process does a very good job of fire forming without wasting components and these fire forming loads can be used for brake in and close in hunting. The smaller case volume will hold the pressure down in the larger chamber and good fire formed cases will be the results.

Good choice and a very nice rifle 👍 👍

J E CUSTOM

Using the 35 Whelen as a parent case Is the best way to start in my opinion and if you can get/find once fired 35 Whelen brass you are just one step closer to sizing down to 30 cal.

I prefer fire forming the Gibbs the same way as the 30/06 AI. (Size the cases .004 thousandths longer than the chamber so there is slight compression in the new chamber) and load middle of the range loads for the cartridge and fire form. This process does a very good job of fire forming without wasting components and these fire forming loads can be used for brake in and close in hunting. The smaller case volume will hold the pressure down in the larger chamber and good fire formed cases will be the results.

Good choice and a very nice rifle 👍 👍

J E CUSTOM

Jerry, I agree, and thanks for sharing your input! This is why I am starting with the .35 Whelen. I also have a bag of .30-06 virgin brass and plan on experimenting with the other .30-06 based cartridges. Considering this is my first COW method fire-forming, I think it turned out OK. The COW fire-formed set of brass is prepped for the next phase.

.30 GIBBS brass prepped.jpg

I've tried COW fireforming and it was pretty frustrating. It seemed like a simple idea, but the stuff was a mess. I failed at getting the case necks sealed off well with the toilet paper and had a couple cases dump that crap all inside my action. I also was expecting to be able shoot 100 rounds relatively quickly but man, the barrel got hot fast. How did your COW fireforming go?

(NOTE: Please disregard the un-mowed grass, I fertilized the day before and it is wet from 2-days of rain, ... mowing this weekend. That's my story and I am sticking with it. 😇 )

Factory Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 ($575) re-chambered to .30 Gibbs ($250, including muzzle threading bead blasting and installation of MB), 4-port Ross Schuler MB ($37), Warne high scope rings ($50), 20 MOA EGW rail ($70), and topped with USO TS-12 3-12 FFP ($325).

View attachment 192716
View attachment 192714
View attachment 192715
View attachment 192718

View attachment 192717
(From L-R: .35 Whelen virgin brass, after re-sizing, fire-formed with 11g WSF (COW method), and after re-sizing).

Not sure what to load at this time but I have the following bullets readily available Berger 190/210/215/230, Hornady ELD-X 178/212/220 and 208 A-Max, I'm sure I got more just too lazy to dig through. Too many to list on powder choices. ;)

Now the load development fun begins ..................................................................................................................... I just hope, I find the time to do it.

ADDED:

Just for the record, I am in no way trying to convince anyone to build a .30 Gibbs or compare it to a similar improved version. My goal is to simply add to the knowledge base in the forum. If you do a quick search, there is hardly any information about it and they tend to die off. Hopefully, those that have .30 Gibbs that remained quiet will engage and share their experiences.
I've been shooting a 240 Gibbs for years. Had it built atound 15 years ago. Shoots 75gr vmax @ 3975. Only mistake was having a 1-12tw. I know this is a sidetrack but got all fuzzy feeling when someone says Gibbs,lol.

This is going be interesting, all of the remaining information that came out of that era is so interesting since so much of it died with Gibbs, I would love to some day find a Gibbs chambered rifle just to look at it. He was particularly protective from what I've read about his chambering methods which he believed was part of what made the chambering. He also had other very interesting things going like forward ignition with duplexing which is very interesting.
I wish we just had more direct information from Rocky himself!!

Wow! Talk about timing. I have a 700 in 300 WM that I have wanted to "do" something with. I didn't really intend to purchase this rifle. I wanted a back up rifle for an elk hunt. When I went to return the borrowed rifle, my friend said "Why don't you just give me $300.00 dollars and keep it". Came with a couple hundred rounds of brass and over a hundred fifty loaded rounds and a Leupold VX 3 3X9 scope. I didn't want to insult him and not take it. He passed away a few years back and I don't want to part with the rifle. I have been cogitating about what to do with it as I am not a fan of the 300 WM.
What a great idea.
Great looking setup. I am looking forward to your future posts on velocity, bullet and accuracy. Keep it going!

View attachment 192716
View attachment 192714
View attachment 192715
View attachment 192718

View attachment 192717

ADDED:

What great prices on your build FEENIX! Ross lives nearby in MH, who is your gunsmith? Thanks for stimulating interest in the .30 Gibbs :)

Love the grass comment- I wish I had that much in my yard. Just spent a small fortune on a pallet of rolled Bermuda. :)
That is a very nice rifle and cool chambering! You can't go wrong with the Ross Break. I have four of them on two Encore pistols and two of them on XP100 pistols. They sure tamed a few of the rounds I have, especially the 300 SAUM in the 15" pistol barrel. I have always thought about the 30 Gibbs after seeing one that my uncle had built back in the 70's for elk and bear in Idaho. He used an old Springfield 06 that had a bad throat. He was a off hand, peep sight kid of guy that hunted the thickest crap you could find and he took a lot of game with that rifle.
I'm not sure he every shot it past 100 yards. He said he got the idea from one of his friends that had an old rifle that was chambered in a 30 Caribou , an Ackely round that looks like your except an longer neck from the 06 case.
I'm always looking down the road for rifles or pistol in different cartridges. I have several improved Contenders that are just miniature rounds of yours and the short necks shoot fantastic. I have an old Mauser Action that I might just see if my gunsmith could do a budget rifle for in in this caliber. I have 06 brass, some 35 Whelan brass from stuff I used to reload for a buddy. I used to go visit with a guy that owned Mashburn Arms in Oklahoma City years back and he had a few Gibbs rifles in there for sale for clients. You have done well with your build and good luck with your
venture to accuracy and hunting with your new rifle. Great job.
Mike