.30 GIBBS is finally ready ...

I shot a 30" gibbs for a bit. Shot the 178amax and 190smk. Rl19 was very accurate H4831 was better and 7828ssc shot the best but it was compressed. 760 didn't shoot well beyond 200yds for me the case fill wasn't optimized and I had cratered primers before I got too far along.
The only way to shave some ozs now would be to goto tallys vs the rail ring set up you have but I don't believe you can get built in elevation. Sweet set-up. Although nothing stuck we had snow here on Cape cod this morning also so the lawn isn't an issue here lol.
Have a blast with that rig looks great!

You don't see any competitive shooters using 30-06 and the military didn't choose it after the Garand or in the Garand, always wondered why? That's all. It kicks like a mother. 308 seemed to end up the standard?

What does your post have to do with .30 Gibbs, if you want to find the "why's" between .308 and .30-06 create your own post instead of hijacking it. Perhaps you missed the point of my post ...

Just for the record, I am in no way trying to convince anyone to build a .30 Gibbs or compare it to a similar improved version. My goal is to simply add to the knowledge base in the forum. If you do a quick search, there is hardly any information about it and they tend to die off. Hopefully, those that have .30 Gibbs that remained quiet will engage and share their experiences.

I shot a 30" gibbs for a bit. Shot the 178amax and 190smk. Rl19 was very accurate H4831 was better and 7828ssc shot the best but it was compressed. 760 didn't shoot well beyond 200yds for me the case fill wasn't optimized and I had cratered primers before I got too far along.
The only way to shave some ozs now would be to goto tallys vs the rail ring set up you have but I don't believe you can get built in elevation. Sweet set-up. Although nothing stuck we had snow here on Cape cod this morning also so the lawn isn't an issue here lol.
Have a blast with that rig looks great!

Awesome! If I was to build it, it would have been a 30" too, just like my .270 AI. I have all the powders you mentioned to try. I am not sure "if" I stay with the optical set-up but it is something I already have.

I'd take shoveling snow over mowing anytime. ;)

I see Berger recently released a 205 hunting hybrid. Might be just the ticket for this capacity. Very cool, totally impractical when a .300 win mag is so easy, and that's a good thing. Practicality and need should have little or nothing to do with this sort of thing, it's fun to try things for the heck of it, thanks for adding to the forum knowledge base.

Danfg retired people with time in their hands to form brass with different dies! I can't wait until I retire!

Neat build! I've often wondered about the shorter necks being better as it would have less resistance but I am no professional at this.

Danfg retired people with time in their hands to form brass with different dies! I can't wait until I retire!

Neat build! I've often wondered about the shorter necks being better as it would have less resistance but I am no professional at this.

LOL! Yes, I am retired from the military but I am still a full-time civil service employee as well as a full-time student (2-6 hours/per day of study time). When you see me posting stuff like this, it is my stress relief. ;)

I too am no professional at this but I enjoy the real-world learning experience.

Last edited:
Looks like a cool build! The Gibbs calibers have a cool vintage-tech feel about them that gets me excited. I've been debating on a 30 cal build and I just picked up a set of 30 Gibbs dies from "Crystalgaleguy" which sealed my decision. Now I am really looking forward to your results! I'm thinking I might extend the throat on my Gibbs chamber to optimize seating of the stockpile of 208 amax bullets I have... Do you know what throat length you have ?

Looks like a cool build! The Gibbs calibers have a cool vintage-tech feel about them that gets me excited. I've been debating on a 30 cal build and I just picked up a set of 30 Gibbs dies from "Crystalgaleguy" which sealed my decision. Now I am really looking forward to your results! I'm thinking I might extend the throat on my Gibbs chamber to optimize seating of the stockpile of 208 amax bullets I have... Do you know what throat length you have ?
Yes the Gibbs cartridges are a ear perker!!! They bring back memories of the old school smiths that would actually talk to you for hours after they closed! My gunsmith I recall loved his 30G I remember thinking I could buy a house for that till he explained to me about wildcats! It seems like a lot of work but I'll bet there's only 1 Kimber in 30G!!!!!