30-378 Weatherby

And it doesn't hurt near as much in the shoulder when you shoot it or the wallet when you load it!

200gr accubonds are certainly cheaper than 300gr SMK's. That and 200's at 3380fps is way more pleasant than 300's at 2800fps in the recoil department. Both rifles are of comparable weights.

98 grains of H1000.... with the 215's and fed 215m primers loaded so they just fit the magazine has shot great in 8-10 of the weatherby accumarks I have been around.... This was the load broz used with the 210gr bergers but it worked great with the 215's... and it didn't beat up brass... I can't remember the FPS but 3008fps seems to stick in my mind... but I could be wrong ... I do know it was over 3000 but its been 4-5 years since I fooled with any of them and a chono... I just got another 30-378 accumark a few months ago... tuned the trigger haven't bedded it yet and used this load to sight it in... this load is 1/2 inch in this gun also...

First 12 rounds. Used Weatherby stamped brass, fed 215 primers, Berger 230gr hybrids, and H1000 powder. COL was 3.79 3.8 would not chamber from the mag. Used 93, 93.5, 94, 94.5gr. 93 and 94.5 were inch grouping at 100 yards. 93.5 and 94 were half dime sized groups at 100. Will chrono these 2 loads and see where the SD and velocities are coming in at. Anybody have any old results for the 8133 for the Berger 230 hybrids? Can't find anything on it yet. Not real sure where to start this load at. Cheers

Most accumarks benefit from bedding and from cutting a coil off the trigger spring...Also .

I've had my 30-378 for a few years now got it used for a steal shoots the 210 vld HBN coated with 102 gr of h1000 shoot great loaded to mag length at 3070 fps. I switched to the 215 hybrid and ran into higher press signs at 118 gr of 50bmg. I'll be backing the load down a grain or so I have heavy bolt lift with that. Shot a .68" group at 100 with that load. I definitely would not start close to that!!

Congrats on the new gun

I have found the H1000 to be the best for me but you might want to try H869 if you are looking for a little more speed.

After reading this I have to ask - How are my loads from a 300 WBY almost identical to the 30-378? I must say that I have absolutely ZERO signs of pressure. I'm currently shooting constant sub 1/2" 4 shot groups with 82.6 gr of H-1000, Fed 215 Primer, Nosler Brass (Neck Sized), OAL of 3.70", Avg. velocity 2965 FPS. This is a factory Mark V Terramark with tons of freebore.

I just assume the 30-378, with all of that extra powder capacity could push the 215 out beyond 3150 beyond accurately.

After reading this I have to ask - How are my loads from a 300 WBY almost identical to the 30-378? I must say that I have absolutely ZERO signs of pressure. I'm currently shooting constant sub 1/2" 4 shot groups with 82.6 gr of H-1000, Fed 215 Primer, Nosler Brass (Neck Sized), OAL of 3.70", Avg. velocity 2965 FPS. This is a factory Mark V Terramark with tons of freebore.

I just assume the 30-378, with all of that extra powder capacity could push the 215 out beyond 3150 beyond accurately.

Sidenote - I have pushed it more while developing a load. I had a "just over moa" group at 100 yards going 3080 without any signs of pressure!

Sidenote - I have pushed it more while developing a load. I had a "just over moa" group at 100 yards going 3080 without any signs of pressure!
My friend has a 300 wby and can get close to the same speeds his barrel is also 4 inches longer than mine I also think case design might have something to do with it? I'm also pushing my 215's at 3300 fps at the moment without having scary pressure signs I will be backing it down till the bolt lift improves

My friend has a 300 wby and can get close to the same speeds his barrel is also 4 inches longer than mine I also think case design might have something to do with it? I'm also pushing my 215's at 3300 fps at the moment without having scary pressure signs I will be backing it down till the bolt lift improves
The four extra inches of barrel makes a huge difference particularly with slower burning powders. They'll gain speed all the way down with lower pressures.

What are you loading to get those velocities ? 30-378 Right ?

The four extra inches of barrel makes a huge difference particularly with slower burning powders. They'll gain speed all the way down with lower pressures.

This is the answer for the 30x378. Long barrels and slow powder. 40 years ago they were the most sought after among PA long rangers, but good actions prevented them from being so. I used one on a Howard Wolfe custom action for over 25 years.
He wouldn't build one with less than a 36" barrel, and unless you used the powder he recommended.
He did also start building them on lapped Mark Vs.
WW2 surplus H570 was the best powder, with 112 gr showing about 3500 fps with a 200 gr SMK. 118 gr of H870 would do the same, as would WC872.
With that velocity, the 200 gr shoots flatter out to 1500 yds than the heavier ones. But frankly with todays choices of cartridges, I don't see much point to the 30x378.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts