30-378 Weatherby

Stephen

BUT that doesn't account for energy transfer. Larger frontal areas transfer energy far better. 45 vs 9mm with the same kinetic energy at impact. Which one his harder?
BC tables are 1 part of the equation, not the whole story.

Depends on what you want your bullet to do. And what bullet you are shooting. Same goes for a 45 vs 9. There is a reason the 9mm is being used for police and military again performance is better. And comparing them to a 30-378 vs a 338 is a completely different story than comparing 45 to 9.

That being said do I NEED a 30-378 probably not but the thing is a beast and it is fun to shoot and I know I have more than enough energy to do what ever I need to do!

I'm not telling you what you can/should own. Its a free country and a big fan of ample energy.

Your statements regarding the 9/45 are misrepresented. Better performance isn't the reason. It's because more of the minorities can handle it. The 10mm is really superior to both, but not manageable for most shooters (reason for the 40). In a few years, they'll switch away from the 9 because it pencils thru just like it did in the past. I carry a 9, so it's not like I hate it. Is far better than nothing and not as good as some other options.
In no way shape or form does the 30 cal hit like the 33 when things are comparable. My favorite hunting gun is my 300 wm, so this isn't a slight on the 30s.

Depends on what you want your bullet to do. And what bullet you are shooting. Same goes for a 45 vs 9. There is a reason the 9mm is being used for police and military again performance is better. And comparing them to a 30-378 vs a 338 is a completely different story than comparing 45 to 9.

That being said do I NEED a 30-378 probably not but the thing is a beast and it is fun to shoot and I know I have more than enough energy to do what ever I need to do!

Glad others have had good results. I could not get either of my accumarks to shoot with anything over 200 grain bullets. It shot lights out with factory 165 grain BT nosler, and HSM 185 berger--but struggled with 210 Berger, 212 ELD-X hand loads and 200 grain accubond hand loads--I gave up-- I sold one-- and cut one to a 300 norma and it became a one hole rifle---hope you have better luck than I had.

Last edited:
Rl33 H50bmg VVn570 RL50 is what ive found work best in this case and cases of this capacity. h1000 and retumbo work …. ok. but the bigger higher density slower powders make this case shine and if your only reaching 2900 with this case you need a slower powder ive done several that went over 3150 w/230 berger in norma brass

Stephen

BUT that doesn't account for energy transfer. Larger frontal areas transfer energy far better. 45 vs 9mm with the same kinetic energy at impact. Which one hits harder?
BC tables are 1 part of the equation, not the whole story.
That will rely greatly on bullet type and expansion characteristics. It all has to be taken into consideration. The kinetic energy has to be there to transfer it though. The Barnes bullets as well as the Accubond and some others have great energy transfer. I also want the flatter shooting for long range shots. Take a look at the 30-378 as well because it has set a lot of records for 1000 yard groups. This is a great all around round. Flat shooting, good groups, and lots of retained energy.

That's a negative ghost rider!
Go to the weatherby ballistics charts and look. With all of its huge energy out of the barrel the 460 weatherby doesn`t have a bullet that has as much energy as the 180 grain accubond at 500 yards. the 338-378 has a little more with one bullet but if you look at the percentage of energy loss on it versus the 30-378 with the 180 accubond the 338-378 fades below it at a little past 500 yards. The 378 weatherby has faded below it at 500 yards as well and percentage of energy lost is much larger. Check facts.

I'm not telling you what you can/should own. Its a free country and a big fan of ample energy.

Your statements regarding the 9/45 are misrepresented. Better performance isn't the reason. It's because more of the minorities can handle it. The 10mm is really superior to both, but not manageable for most shooters (reason for the 40). In a few years, they'll switch away from the 9 because it pencils thru just like it did in the past. I carry a 9, so it's not like I hate it. Is far better than nothing and not as good as some other options.
In no way shape or form does the 30 cal hit like the 33 when things are comparable. My favorite hunting gun is my 300 wm, so this isn't a slight on the 30s.
Like he said it depends on what you want to do with your bullet. The 357 sig is carried by some law enforcement because a neither a 45 nor a 40 will penetrate a laminated glass in a windshield but the 357 sig does. its like going back to what Roy Weatherby designed this round for originally. The military wanted to get a round over 5000 fps to see how it penetrated metal armour. the smaller faster bullet pierces windshields when the larger slower bullets won`t . the 9mm isn`t quite fast enough with its smaller grain bullet to do it.

That will rely greatly on bullet type and expansion characteristics. It all has to be taken into consideration. The kinetic energy has to be there to transfer it though. The Barnes bullets as well as the Accubond and some others have great energy transfer. I also want the flatter shooting for long range shots. Take a look at the 30-378 as well because it has set a lot of records for 1000 yard groups. This is a great all around round. Flat shooting, good groups, and lots of retained energy.

You quickly became blocked by me as a new member. Thankful I'll never have to see another post from you.

Go to the weatherby ballistics charts and look. With all of its huge energy out of the barrel the 460 weatherby doesn`t have a bullet that has as much energy as the 180 grain accubond at 500 yards. the 338-378 has a little more with one bullet but if you look at the percentage of energy loss on it versus the 30-378 with the 180 accubond the 338-378 fades below it at a little past 500 yards. The 378 weatherby has faded below it at 500 yards as well and percentage of energy lost is much larger. Check facts.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:eek:o_O
I'm At a loss for words.

No, the reason the 9mm is being used is because females in generally had issues with the .40 and 45acp and recoil management.

Also because of the lesser recoil it's easier and faster to get back on your POA thus getting more rounds off faster.

The DPS had more one shot kills with the .357 Sig than all other calibers combined within the first three years of issue. They went back to the 9mm because the women on the force did not like the recoil.

Len has a free ballistics calculator on this site, you'll see the link up above near your search bar.

This simply isn't even remotely true.

Run the numbers for yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.