30 378 weatherby

andrew stegman

hello im new here and and i have some questions concerning a rifle i just picked up

it is a weatherby 30 378 mark v (accumark?) any how i got to reasearching the cost of ammo and YIKES!! 70-120 bucks a box!!!!
any how, my question is this how much should this rifle be worth? the gun is in pretty good shape but there are a few scratches on the floor plate of the magazine
it has a leupold vari-x 3.5-10 tactical scope installed in good shape
what are some key areas to look at/ check to verify condition of the gun?
for the most part i dont need such an extreme calliber is it advisable to try having a gunsmith convert it into a more affordable calliber? like replaceing the bolt and barrel with a 30 06 or something or maybe better to trade it on a more suitable gun such as a 308 or something?

also does anyone know how to decipher the serial number to discover the MFG date and actual model? i think it is an accumark because it has a stainless steel fluted barrel with the (accu?)brake installed on the end

on a further note these guns have limited round capability right? like only 1000 rnds or less before rebarreling?

thanks for any help

Man, that gun is only worth $5, but to show you what a good guy I am, I'll give you $10 for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nice gun, nice caliber. Do NOT change it to a 30-06. Seriously though, I'll trade you a 30-06 for it if you really don't want it. As far as the ammo cost, handloading will take care of that.

Take a look on E-bay and you'll see that just the scope is worth some good $$$$. Because of the dimensions of the bolt face etc you won't likely be trying to ECONOMICALLY change the caliber. You would be far better off trading on something else if the caliber intimidates you. I have a 30-378 and I also have a savage 300 win mag.
The win mag gets within 200 fps of the 30-378 with 200 grainers.
I love the win mag because I can load it down to 30-06 and even 308 velocity for brush hunting. Yet it's plenty potent for out west or Alaska hunting.
My best bet if you want out of that gun would be to put the scope on e-bay and watch someone pay about $75 less than a new one. Then take the rest of the gun to a good retail outlet and trade it on what you want.

thanks for the replies
now from what i have read so far this gun has a tendency to wear out barrels? is there anything that i can look for as far as wear indicators? something that would give me a clue to how much life was left in the gun? i suppose the best thing is to take it to a gunsmith and have him check it out.

to me the only thing intimidating about it is the price of the shells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif so i am getting a set of dies and try reloading some shells, any ideas on a good place to get brass?

does anyone know how to decipher the serial number to find out the year of the gun? also i think it is a accumark because it has a stainless fluted barrel with an accu?brake on the end
your help is appreciated
andrew
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sure sounds like an Accumark, but I do not know about the #'s. I would clean it good and shoot it. That will tell you if there is something wrong with the barrel. It has a Kreiger barrel and Weatherby will stand behind it. The Accumarks in 30-378 are famous for being accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.