30-284?

Thanks! On grafs site, it said the 284win Peterson brass has a neck thickness of 0.0155-0.016. this is concurrent with what I've been able to find in what people have measured and it seems most people say Lapua is about the same.

So if I necked up from 284win to .30 with either of those brands, maybe I'd be in the .015 range? That's pretty standard so it should be just fine in a regular clearance neck chamber.
I have a 284 win so I have the brass here and the lapua necked up was .013 and Peterson was .014. before necking up lapua 6.5-284 was .014 and Peterson 284 was.015. don't have the new lapua 284 brass. just gave what info I have to help decide on reamer that might be best for your situation. neck turning is a pain in rear especially for a hunting cartridge. you are going to want a .340-.341 neck to be safe for all the brass out there

I've been looking for die sets online.

I currently use a Lee hand press and Lee dies for my '06, and I love them. I was hoping to be able to get a Lee pacesetter 3 die set from their website, but they have suspended custom die production with no anticipated restart date.

So, I found these. Seems like a pretty darn good deal. I also found a Lee factory crimp die online for the 30-284. So this would complete the setup of what I need. Thoughts?

Rcbs 30-284 2 die set

I currently use a Lee hand press and Lee dies for my '06, and I love them. I was hoping to be able to get a Lee pacesetter 3 die set from their website, but they have suspended custom die production with no anticipated restart date.

So, I found these. Seems like a pretty darn good deal. I also found a Lee factory crimp die online for the 30-284. So this would complete the setup of what I need. Thoughts?

Rcbs 30-284 2 die set
The boat floats jump in!

Rcbs 30-284 2 die set
For a hunting rifle I'd those would be fine. I use mainly RCBS dies. That looks like an awesome deal.

For doing the initial expanding of the 284 necks up to .308:

If I go with Sinclair's expander mandrel die and a mandrel, would that be too big of a jump in diameter for easy operation if a Lee hand press with their TiN coated mandrels, or would I likely need to go with the cardbide?

And is this the best expanding method? I noticed Lyman and rcbs makes some expanding dies, but I haven't heard if anyone using them

For doing the initial expanding of the 284 necks up to .308:

If I go with Sinclair's expander mandrel die and a mandrel, would that be too big of a jump in diameter for easy operation if a Lee hand press with their TiN coated mandrels, or would I likely need to go with the cardbide?

And is this the best expanding method? I noticed Lyman and rcbs makes some expanding dies, but I haven't heard if anyone using them
No, .284 to .308 is fine.

I used 21st CS but sure the Lyman, RCBS, etc will work just fine too.

21st Century expander die.jpg

Yes that's what I was referring to. I don't think they're cartridge specific, right? Just expander size specific?
It's been some twenty years since I last used them so I don't remember. But I'm pretty sure they are NOT cartridge specific. Just expander size.

It's been some twenty years since I last used them so I don't remember. But I'm pretty sure they are NOT cartridge specific. Just expander size.
You know I might have to take that back. I flipped through the different cartridges and many use the same die, but not all of them. So it's probably best you call Lyman to find out for sure.

The die for 308 Win and 300 Weatherby have the same item number so I'd think it would work. But I cannot say for sure that it would.