30-284?

Other than having something "different" I'm not sure what the up side is to necking up the .284win to 30cal?.....the straight 284 with 180/184's is gonna trump the 200/215's offering ballistically and probably accuracy wise as well...One thing I can tell you about the 284 and it's rebated rim, it won't take getting stomped on pressure wise for very many firings....maybe a 30-06ai is a better choice?

Other than having something "different" I'm not sure what the up side is to necking up the .284win to 30cal?.....the straight 284 with 180/184's is gonna trump the 200/215's offering ballistically and probably accuracy wise as well...One thing I can tell you about the 284 and it's rebated rim, it won't take getting stomped on pressure wise for very many firings....maybe a 30-06ai is a better choice?
For me it IS about different. In such a massive world of cartridges, it's just another different one. Not the standard 30 caliber cartridge. I own a few 284s both LA and SA rifles. Also a Winchester M100 semi. Great round IMO. So for me building a 30-284 is not about what's better. It's about being 284 something. Hell, there are alot better 30 caliber options for sheer power

Last edited:
Yes I like the different part of it. And that just makes me want to buy a blued action, polish and reblue it to a fancy high gloss, and put it in my walnut stock I'm working on.

But, I already have a 7mm-08. So then it would be like owning a .30-06 and a 300win. Or saying there is no point because of the excellent nature of the 284win is like saying there's no point of the 338-06, and that's a saami cartridge. And the point is, that I want one 😁

This is why I never ask what rifle to build or buy.

Haha yes I understand that. I'm just wanting to know about potential difficulties in getting it done and doing it as affordably as I can.

I've never had a rebarrel done at all, so I don't even know if it would be hard to find a smith with that reamer and if I would be a large upcharge if he had to rent one. I would like to keep the barrel and smith costs to a total of $700, so it it's a lot more than that, I might have to wait a bit.

I'd like to be able to shoot 200gr at an '06 or better performance from a 22-24' barrel, song t would be good to know if someone has enough experience to educate me on that. This probably isn't a deal breaker though.

I've never had a rebarrel done at all, so I don't even know if it would be hard to find a smith with that reamer and if I would be a large upcharge if he had to rent one.
Yes, you can rent a reamer https://4drentals.com/product/30284-winchester/. This is owned by Fred Zeglin and where my gunsmith rented the reamer to chamber my .30-06 to .30 Gibbs.

Last edited:
Regarding the fact that the 284 and 300 WSM have different bolt faces....The OP said he wanted to EITHER use existing rifle or come up with a dedicated new one.

As an owner of two 284 win chambered rifles I like the case design. It was way ahead of its time coming out in 1963 with all the improvements that some of the more recent cartridges have embraced.

You waded through the alternatives Tac-O, and you stand firm. So go and do it!

Lapua is now making 284 win brass. Grafts and Precision Reloading lists it but it is currently out of stock.

New Lapua Brass Cartridge Cases for 2021 - Lapua
[h2][/h2]

Regarding the fact that the 284 and 300 WSM have different bolt faces....The OP said he wanted to EITHER use existing rifle or come up with a dedicated new one.

As an owner of two 284 win chambered rifles I like the case design. It was way ahead of its time coming out in 1963 with all the improvements that some of the more recent cartridges have embraced.

You waded through the alternatives Tac-O, and you stand firm. So go and do it!

Lapua is now making 284 win brass. Grafts and Precision Reloading lists it but it is currently out of stock.

New Lapua Brass Cartridge Cases for 2021 - Lapua
[h2][/h2]
Thanks for the update on the new 284 brass.

I have a little bit of money at the moment and it's burning a hole in my pocket. I've been thinking of either rebarreling my Tikka, getting a dedicated hunting gun (either Barrett fieldcraft or a Sako), or getting a fancy stocked walnut gloss blued rifle.
Hmm that's a wide ranging choice, I think you're just looking for something different? All cool choices just a different set of criteria. If you stick with the Tikka and 284 case I'm wondering why not try a 284 Shehane or .30-284 Shehane. Of course a straight 284 win would be a good match for Tikka too.

I am wondering what people's thoughts are on this interesting cartridge. From what I understand it's basically a short action .30-06!

I have a little bit of money at the moment and it's burning a hole in my pocket. I've been thinking of either rebarreling my Tikka, getting a dedicated hunting gun (either Barrett fieldcraft or a Sako), or getting a fancy stocked walnut gloss blued rifle.

So, I'm wondering about people's experiences with this wildcat! I know qualcart makes brass, so it's nice I won't have to fireform, etc. The main draw to me is being able to load longer heavies in my Tikka and still fit the mag, while matching the '06 performance and possibly having a touch less recoil. If I went this route, I think I'd be looking at a bartlein, brux, hart, lilja, or benchmark.

How easy it is to load for?

Does it's performance match the .30-06 through the same range of bullet weighs or does it fall short with the heavier bullets (200gr)?

Am I going to have a hard time finding someone that has this reamer or finding a prefit?
OP, many 300wsm shooters use large rifle primers, not just magnum. As to the tikka action, it was built for wsm and 284 variants, imo. 30-06 in a tikka is a waste to me. 30-284 has been extremely accurate. Best of luck

Opening up the boltface is simple for a smith. The 300wsm has very little throat wear. It will wear faster than an 06 but you are not going to shoot 4000 rounds through this rifle to begin with. The wsm with br2's 4350, 4831 H1000, 7828 and the RL powders of appropriate burn rate would be far more effective at shooting heavies in the tika. A perfect platform to seat the big bullets out of the case. A 215 @ 3000fps in a tika would be fairly easy with RL26 at a 3.100ish coal. It is a favorite in F class for the minimal throat wear when using H1000 over the course of a season.
The 30/284 is a very good option as well. My grandfather had one on an 03 springfield he built. My uncle still has it but I doubt it has been fired in years. Since my grandfather was a dedicated benchrester I'm sure it shoots lights out or he would have sold it. His rifle would be shooting 165-180s because that is what he had in 30 cal when. he passed.