30-284?

Hey Tac-O,
I shoot both 6.5 284 and 284 and absolutely love the case size and accuracy they produce.
I'm thinking of doing the .30 variant as well!
I have several different .30 cal projectiles to try and feel it would make a great addition to the great 284 case collection.
Keep us posted on results!

I did find some newly released Lapua 284 Win cases that I haven't yet tried but wont have to neck up 6.5 at least.
Perhaps I'll be necking these up to .30 before long!

I did find some newly released Lapua 284 Win cases that I haven't yet tried but wont have to neck up 6.5 at least.
Perhaps I'll be necking these up to .30 before long!
I certainly will!

I found some Peterson 284 that I necked up. The quality is awesome.

Sorry... since I'm a farmer... I was out in the fields and didn't see your response earlier.
My 284 long range shoots 180's at 2860 with 51.4 grains of H4350 out of a 30" barrel.
I'd expect your .30 to get similar velocity with same powder of course depending on barrel length.
Case to bore diameter ratio is great for barrel life and about perfect for 4350 powder variants.

Got it! Going to go break it in Saturday morning, hopefully.

Here's a couple pictures of the chamber throat and lands.

Anyone know if these are good looking? They look rougher than I was expecting.

Attachments

• Photo_106.jpg
    Photo_106.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Photo_107.jpg
    Photo_107.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Photo_108.jpg
    Photo_108.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Photo_109.jpg
    Photo_109.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Photo_111.jpg
    Photo_111.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 100
Got it! Going to go break it in Saturday morning, hopefully.

Here's a couple pictures of the chamber throat and lands.

Anyone know if these are good looking? They look rougher than I was expecting.
Address your concern directly with your gunsmith and allow him to correct it, "if" necessary. I have had similar before except factory, and they shot great. Good luck.

Regarding costs:
You can rent a reamer and go gauge for around $80.00,
Chambering cost about $350.00
If you want threading for a muzzle brake, fluting or coatings these add more.
In my area I can have a barrel fitted chambered and threaded for a brake for about 350 or less

I have a borescope also and have seen some degree of chatter marks on higher end rifling as well.
Barrel may still shoot fine. Chamber walls need to be pretty smooth for good brass to wall relation and operation.
Your tooling pics don't seem too bad... I've seen much worse.

Address your concern directly with your gunsmith and allow him to correct it, "if" necessary. I have had similar before except factory, and they shot great. Good luck.

I have a borescope also and have seen some degree of chatter marks on higher end rifling as well.
Barrel may still shoot fine. Chamber walls need to be pretty smooth for good brass to wall relation and operation.
Your tooling pics don't seem too bad... I've seen much worse.

Yes I planned on calling him today. I know it doesn't look terrible, but my factory tikkas have looked better and smoother than this. Part of getting a mullerworks rather than just having a new 308 Tikka rechambered is that I wanted the nonfactory benefit of a smooth throat and no/very minimal copper fouling