30-284?

The .30-284 Win is a great cartridge especially in a long action where you can seat the bullets out in a little longer jump, and known for its across-the-course accuracy and long-range. The same could be said for the .30-X55mm which is nothing more than the 7.5x55mm Swiss another great round and near-identical ballistics too the .30-284 Win. Just my 0.02
I was thinking about the 7.5 Swiss reading the posts. My uncle would get .284 brass and resize it to make 7.5 Swiss. That cartridge is supposed to have more powder capacity than an .30-06. My dad had a K31 in that cartridge.

I was thinking about the 7.5 Swiss reading the posts. My uncle would get .284 brass and resize it to make 7.5 Swiss. That cartridge is supposed to have more powder capacity than an .30-06. My dad had a K31 in that cartridge.
I've also used .284 Win brass for my 7.5x55mm Swiss K31 over the years, works fine and shoots great. Not sure whether it has more powder (water volume) over a .30-06 but it certainly stays up with it on the range just fine.

Last edited:
Care to share your experience on this? I've done some pretty brutal things to 284 cases in a few different variants and I've never experienced any issues. I've had 6.5/284, 284 Win, 30/284, and 338/284 barrels and never experienced problems with either Lapua or Winchester brass.

My experiences with Lapua and Norma 6.5x284/284 brass is having fired well in excess of 10k+ rounds. It's no secret, run a low pressure load and you can easily get 10-15 firings, stomp on it and you will lose primer pockets quickly.

To get a 180 to 2890fps with RL17 out of a 20" barrel is impressive, how many firings you getting? .....most can't achieve that velocity with a 30" tube and a long free bore without trashing primer pockets.

My experiences with Lapua and Norma 6.5x284/284 brass is having fired well in excess of 10k+ rounds. It's no secret, run a low pressure load and you can easily get 10-15 firings, stomp on it and you will lose primer pockets quickly.

To get a 180 to 2890fps with RL17 out of a 20" barrel is impressive, how many firings you getting? .....most can't achieve that velocity with a 30" tube and a long free bore without trashing primer pockets.

Like a said in my post, the 2890 FPS with a 180gr bullet was in a 30/284 Win, not a 284. I agree that getting that velocity in a 20" 284 Win would require some obscene pressures.

But the rim diameter is the same as the 3006. So since the case capacity is nearly identical, I wouldn't think that the 284 cases would get trashed any faster than a 3006 with a high pressure load. Actually, the 3006 should loosen the primer pockets faster on an equal pressure load than the 30-284 due to the case design, right?

I have some dies and brass on the way! I got the rcbs 2 die FL set for $50 on Graf's, 100 Peterson 284 win cases, the Lyman neck expander die, a Lee factory crimp die from a Utah online Lee dealer, and case length case for trimming (just bought a 284 win).

I decided I wanted to go with a brux number three, because that's the lightest contour available between them, Bart, and krieger. But when i tried to finalize my order on the phone, Ken (is one of the owners?) Said the lowest stainless contour they will do is a number four and that the website needed to be fixed because it shouldn't have allowed me to pick a number three. Anyway, I said I told him I wanted to cancel it and think about it a bit more. Someone sent me a link to bugholes.com barrels page and there were #3 as brux barrels on there! But no 10 twists.

Anyway, I also found a mullerworks #3 on bugholes, which is slightly lighter than a brux 3, and the guys' background and experience is interesting. He's worked with Rock Creek and Broughton and I haven't found any bad info on his barrels, so I think I'll give it a shot.

Now I just need to buy my barrel and get one of these gunsmiths to call me back! And then wait.....

I've now got a mullerworks #3 10twist ordered from bugholes and a couple of good smiths on the radar! I'm getting excited to wait.

Got my mullerworks barrel blank in today. Their #3 contour only looks slightly bigger than the Tikka factory contour, which is what I was hoping for. The bore looks great. I'll be dropping it off with my barreled action tomorrow and then eagerly await my brass to start prepping it.

Early last year. Cases varied a Bunch in wt and neck thicknesses varied .002 or more. Had to turn all of them to get some consistency. Hope they're better for you. Please advise when you get them.
.30 Gibbs  Qual Cart brass.jpg

.30 Gibbs  Qual Cart brass1.jpg

I got my .30 Gibbs brass from Qual Cart. I only inspected/measured 20, and only 1 is over .002" from the average. For $2.00 each, I expected better quality and packaging (i.e., Peterson's). Some are bent/out round and rough at the mouth, but it does not matter to me because I do I quick brass resize and deburr them anyway. The cost is worth it because it saves me from establishing a false shoulder and COW method. However, I would not recommend it to @Tac-O unless having a proper head stamped brass is a must.

View attachment 240207
View attachment 240212

I got my .30 Gibbs brass from Qual Cart. I only inspected/measured 20, and only 1 is over .002" from the average. For $2.00 each, I expected better quality and packaging (i.e., Peterson's). Some are bent/out round and rough at the mouth, but it does not matter to me because I do I quick brass resize and deburr them anyway. The cost is worth it because it saves me from establishing a false shoulder and COW method. However, I would not recommend it to @Tac-O unless having a proper head stamped brass is a must.

Good to know!

The 30-284 QC brass at Graf's is 2.50/piece. With Peterson's reputation and it being $1/piece, I decided QC wasn't worth it. Just waiting on my brass. It should arrive with a few days

Good to know!

The 30-284 QC brass at Graf's is 2.50/piece. With Peterson's reputation and it being $1/piece, I decided QC wasn't worth it. Just waiting on my brass. It should arrive with a few days
I finished the rest of the batch, and it was not too bad because all of the minor QC issues were corrected when resized. On one of the brass, there was a curled brass that made it inside. My WAG is part of the mouth trimming that somehow made it inside before the sizing process. I have to neck it up to .33 to removed it, but it re-sized back without any problem. I will do some culling after the first firing.

Good luck with your build.

My Peterson brass came in the mail, along with my dies. I did some measurements and I'm thoroughly impressed!

Almost all neck thickness was 0.017, hardly ever more than an ES of 0.0005 on thickness.

Neck run-out was almost always immeasurable, but 0.00025 if I had to guess.

Didn't do weight.

Length was less consistent, as it always is. Most were around 2.164, with about 30% being 2.160.

I did some neck expanding with my Lyman neck expander die.... it's awesome. It didn't induce any runout. Zilch.

After expanding the necks, it seemed most were about .0165 in thickness.

I'm not sure why so many people shoot Lapua. For about the same price, at least with this .284win brass, the quality, and the fact that it's US made, it seems as though it's a hard deal to beat!

My Peterson brass came in the mail, along with my dies. I did some measurements and I'm thoroughly impressed!

Almost all neck thickness was 0.017, hardly ever more than an ES of 0.0005 on thickness.

Neck run-out was almost always immeasurable, but 0.00025 if I had to guess.

Didn't do weight.

Length was less consistent, as it always is. Most were around 2.164, with about 30% being 2.160.

I did some neck expanding with my Lyman neck expander die.... it's awesome. It didn't induce any runout. Zilch.

After expanding the necks, it seemed most were about .0165 in thickness.

I'm not sure why so many people shoot Lapua. For about the same price, at least with this .284win brass, the quality, and the fact that it's US made, it seems as though it's a hard deal to beat!
This is why I shoot Peterson! 👍