30-284?

Get the bullet out of the case. In a savage, my dad ran a throater so I could see if I could do it. WIth freebore in the .200 I had consistency issues but saw velocites in the 3050 range. You can't mag feed at 3.180 or longer in a short action but the tika will with a bolt stop and magazine mod.
I got over 2850 with the 230 berger also. The barrel is a Douglass 10tw 27.5" with break from the lug.
I was going to build a 300wsm for f class because I saw peterson brass was going to release 300wsm. They never did so I built a 300prc with a 30" instead.
I did :) long throat seated at 3.225" coal. In a tikka these coals are perfect.

I'm one of "those guys" that likes the idea of having a cartridge in a short handy rifle and then another in a LR designation. So the Shehane could still fit the bill if the OP likes the cartridge enough to build another rifle with a long barrel. And that folks is how you live vicariously. ;)

With the 4d reamer you posted the link to, would that chamber be considered "tight necked" and more along the lines of a match chamber?

I guess I should have this discussion with whatever smith I go with, but if I do it I'm hoping to not have a really tight neck so I don't have to worry quite as much about carbon rings screwing up accuracy. The neck in my tikka is at the high end of saami I think

I am wondering what people's thoughts are on this interesting cartridge. From what I understand it's basically a short action .30-06!

I have a little bit of money at the moment and it's burning a hole in my pocket. I've been thinking of either rebarreling my Tikka, getting a dedicated hunting gun (either Barrett fieldcraft or a Sako), or getting a fancy stocked walnut gloss blued rifle.

So, I'm wondering about people's experiences with this wildcat! I know qualcart makes brass, so it's nice I won't have to fireform, etc. The main draw to me is being able to load longer heavies in my Tikka and still fit the mag, while matching the '06 performance and possibly having a touch less recoil. If I went this route, I think I'd be looking at a bartlein, brux, hart, lilja, or benchmark.

How easy it is to load for?

Does it's performance match the .30-06 through the same range of bullet weighs or does it fall short with the heavier bullets (200gr)?

Am I going to have a hard time finding someone that has this reamer or finding a prefit?

The .30-284 Win is a great cartridge especially in a long action where you can seat the bullets out in a little longer jump, and known for its across-the-course accuracy and long-range. The same could be said for the .30-X55mm which is nothing more than the 7.5x55mm Swiss another great round and near-identical ballistics too the .30-284 Win. Just my 0.02

With a true tight neck chamber you'd have a lot more to worry about! Shouldn't think you want a tight neck chamber for a hunting rifle
No I wouldn't want it that tight! I figured there is probably a middle ground for hunting that is still completely functional and reliable but more accurate than a factory gun chamber. My my assumption is incorrect.

I don't know much about these things, so it will be something I'll have to ask about.

You should be fine with a standard reamer. You can adjust neck tension to what you want using bushing dies and a neck mandrel. The term "match" reamer is way over used. Every reamer should be true and of match quality. Tight neck reamers are just that. You turn case neck walls to get about a half thousandths bullet release. Not a good idea for hunting rifles - OK for a very babied match/BR gun. Neck clearance in hunting rifles typically runs .003-.005" from loaded to fired. Your smith will know this (should).

I also thought I could have an issue with not enough clearance if using Lapua or Peterson brass because they reportedly have such thick necks, but I think expanding the neck from .282 to .306 in sizing would thin the neck enough to be ok even if the reamer didn't give much clearance.

Wouldn't necessarily count on that. Enlarging neck dia doesn't do much to thin neck walls.
Best to fire-form a piece of brass with shotgun powder and tissue. Measure fired/formed brass and compare to a loaded round. This will tell you if you need to turn necks or not for clearance

One thing I can tell you about the 284 and it's rebated rim, it won't take getting stomped on pressure wise for very many firings....maybe a 30-06ai is a better choice?
Care to share your experience on this? I've done some pretty brutal things to 284 cases in a few different variants and I've never experienced any issues. I've had 6.5/284, 284 Win, 30/284, and 338/284 barrels and never experienced problems with either Lapua or Winchester brass.

The 30-284 is a great option and one of the improved variants would be better still. I had a 20" 30-284 Win for a while and it did just fine. I shot the 180gr Barnes TTSX at 2890 fps with Rl 17 and an OAL of 3.150" It was a great little hunting setup. I had a 338/284 Win set up the same and shot the 225gr TTSX at 2580 fps from a 20" barrel with H4895. I still shoot a 19" straight 284 Win in a specialty pistol and it's one of my favorite guns for deer hunting inside of 600 yards.

lapua 6.5-284 necked up and loaded with a 208 eld has a neck dia. of .336 and neck is .013 thick
the Peterson 284 brass has a thicker neck .014.
hope the info helps you decide. I have been tossing it around for a few years maybe someday it will happen

lapua 6.5-284 necked up and loaded with a 208 eld has a neck dia. of .336 and neck is .013 thick
the Peterson 284 brass has a thicker neck .014.
hope the info helps you decide. I have been tossing it around for a few years maybe someday it will happen

Thanks! On grafs site, it said the 284win Peterson brass has a neck thickness of 0.0155-0.016. this is concurrent with what I've been able to find in what people have measured and it seems most people say Lapua is about the same.

So if I necked up from 284win to .30 with either of those brands, maybe I'd be in the .015 range? That's pretty standard so it should be just fine in a regular clearance neck chamber.