30-06 to 1000yds

fwiw,

some of the .30-06 shooters on snipershide have been getting about 2800fps with 208 amaxes with 26" barrels using reloader 22. 2700fps with 22" barrels.

One of the guys I've conversed with said that his pressures are running about 60-62k, and his load is 2 grains less than where he starts to see pressure signs.

The 208 A-Max, if pushed to 2600 fps out of an .06 (a little optimistic)

I am not sure why this is optimistic. It is very realistic and then some. One just needs the right barrel and powder. I am getting 2525 out of my 26" 11x 308 with the 208 AMAX and is a very mild load. The only reason I cant get them to go any faster is a simple function of case capacity, a problem the '06 will face with less difficulty.

Asked to try the 200gr bullets from Sierra the smk for target shooting and the sgk
for hunting.
Looking at the BC of the two bullets the bc is high for both....
Thoughts at this point would be a great help, as well as some 200gr load data for
the 06.
Have a friend in Saltlake, UT that can get some stuff, our area is out of most everything.

I would suggest lots of practice at ranges of 500 yards and beyond. Then spend some time learning to stalk closer. I would recommend the same thing for myself and 98% of the poster I read on this site.

In 42 years of hunting, in order to take a shot on a game animal over 500 yards would have required me to get in my truck and drive backwards.

Have had a great spring shooting chucks out past 500 with a 223 and a 308..
Not bad country for shooting past 500yds and a good training.

I would suggest lots of practice at ranges of 500 yards and beyond. Then spend some time learning to stalk closer. I would recommend the same thing for myself and 98% of the poster I read on this site.

In 42 years of hunting, in order to take a shot on a game animal over 500 yards would have required me to get in my truck and drive backwards.

thanks for the advise and welcome to LONGrangehunting.com. I hear they are starting a sling-shothunting.com site and are looking for charter members :)

thanks for the advise and welcome to LONGrangehunting.com. I hear they are starting a sling-shothunting.com site and are looking for charter members :)

Ha ha! Yeah, that's very funny! If "they" did, you would have people on here claiming regular and routine kills at 1000 yards plus. (with a long range bean flip).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.