Going for 1000yds Tonight

Kirby,

J/K on the 50% hit ratio. I can't wait to get that thing and try it these little suckers.

I really think that with perfect conditions my .243 is capable of a 10-15% hit rate @ these ranges. Since conditions are always less than perfect, I'm hoping the advantages the AM offers will get me to this on those less than perfect days.

Good shooting guys!
Congrats on your 1049 kill lerch!!
Looks as if those PD's better beware even at 1K plus when you guys are around!
Congrats to you both again!!

Thanks for all the nice replies. Most the people around my work here think I am full of $h!+, which is kinda disapointing. I wish I would have taken a pic of the dog laying dead and you could have seen how close the second shot was. I am trying to talk BJ into going this Sunday so he can get him a 1k kill, well just see. Kirby, I am ready to see what one of those mean looking 169.5's will do to a dog past 1k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Thanks
Steve

It is amazing full of [censored] people think you are when you tell them how far you shoot. I finally convinced one of my friends to go shooting with me who thought I was full of it. I had him connecting nearly every shot with the 5" gong at 500yds with his 700 bdl 270. After they see it can be done they get a little interested!

Congrats.
The world now looks different through bonafied 1k killer eyes huh?
You must be excited and I will look forward to seeing your pic in the VHA. It will probably be in there about October of 2006.

Thanks for the reply GG,

I was just sitting thinking about shooting and I decided to run my 22-250 bullet and BJ's 243 against each other in my ballistics program.

My 22-250 is pushing its 55gr bullet at 3750 fps comfortably the bc is .267. BJ's 243 is pushing its 105gr bullet at 3100fps with a bc of .500.

At 1050yds, where I killed the pdog, my 22-250 was traveling at 980fps and dropped 417". It impacted with 117ft/lbs of energy and drifted 175" in a 10mph cross wind.

At 1050yds Bj's 243 was traveling at 1398fps and dropped 319". It hit the pdog with 456ft/lbs of force and drifted 91" in a 10 mph cross wind.

Even though my bullet started out going 650fps faster by the time each bullet would have hit the same target my bullet hit with 339lbs less energy, was going 418fps slower, dropped nearly 100" more and drifted 84" more.

Thats pretty sad ain't it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My ballistics program may be off a little but either way this proves that a heavy high bc bullet going at a decent speed beats the hell out of a little bullet going at light speed.

God I wish I would have listened to you guys and not wasted my time with little bullets and speed.

I just thought I would share this little bit of info,

Take it easy
Steve

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply GG,

I was just sitting thinking about shooting and I decided to run my 22-250 bullet and BJ's 243 against each other in my ballistics program.

My 22-250 is pushing its 55gr bullet at 3750 fps comfortably the bc is .267. BJ's 243 is pushing its 105gr bullet at 3100fps with a bc of .500.

At 1050yds, where I killed the pdog, my 22-250 was traveling at 980fps and dropped 417". It impacted with 117ft/lbs of energy and drifted 175" in a 10mph cross wind.

At 1050yds Bj's 243 was traveling at 1398fps and dropped 319". It hit the pdog with 456ft/lbs of force and drifted 91" in a 10 mph cross wind.

Even though my bullet started out going 650fps faster by the time each bullet would have hit the same target my bullet hit with 339lbs less energy, was going 418fps slower, dropped nearly 100" more and drifted 84" more.

Thats pretty sad ain't it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My ballistics program may be off a little but either way this proves that a heavy high bc bullet going at a decent speed beats the hell out of a little bullet going at light speed.

God I wish I would have listened to you guys and not wasted my time with little bullets and speed.

I just thought I would share this little bit of info,

Take it easy
Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

So then my analogy in the other thread was pretty fair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

what sux is you are limited by your 14 twist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif wish i could shoot the heavies in my 12tw 223, but alas...

Sometimes you have to experience some things yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheers,
JB

Lerch,

You just explained why a heavy, long, high BC bullet launches at good speeds will kick the heck out of lighter, hyper velocity bullets at ranges past 1/2 mile.

Now run these numbers though your program and see what you get, 3400 fps, 169.5 gr ULD RBBT, .750 BC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!! Their coming my friend!!!

Yare learning by leaps and bounds, just getting out and doing is the best education you can get!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thats why i said a heavy high bc bullet, a 400 something grain hunk of lead isn't "high bc". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And this "heavy bullet" expands very rapidly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I don't know what 14 twist you are talking about though, my 22-250 is a 12 and BJ's 243 is 9.25. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kirby, I have ran the numbers and if I can shoot this allen mag their will be a lot of widowed prairie poodles in western Oklahoma /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Is there a certain speed that these heavy high bc bullets need to be launched at?? I thought maybe 3000fps was the general starting line but isn't your Kahn going 2800ish?? And you have shown great results. I don't remember what GG Moag is going. Is 2500 the mark or slower or faster. I guess it doesn't really matter since my allen mag will be doing 3400, but knowledge is power.

Cool story guys. I am still a little jealous that you found p-dogs here in Oklahoma. Man,I miss Montana!! Oh well,I'm going out to Idaho and then up to Montana to visit old friends,maybe I'll take my 6.5-284 and try to catch up on some of that stuff.
You guys Know any more about that match in Alex yet??

Nothing on the shoot yet. They said it should be sometime in Oct. Either the first or second weekend, depending on when the ou/TX game is.

I told them nobody cares about that game anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but they seemed to have a different opinion.

Just hope it's before my little girl shows up. My wife is due on Halloween, and I don't think she'd be too happy if I was out shooting while she was in labor!!

good shooting guys. Today I went out and tried several shots at prairie dogs anywhere from 372 out to 984 ranged and a couple out further. had a blood trail on one at 718 and confirmed kills at 372, 416, and 527 with the 300 RUM. Also got one at 35 yards with the 44 mag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

those long range dogs sure are elusive.

Fantastic shooting, great story, well done.
I visualised it all the way and i am SOOOO envious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, we just dont have any oppertunity for those long shots in the UK, we dont have any pdogs either, rabbits will have to do.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.