What MOA Scope Base for .223 @ 1000yds

Reelamin

I have to save some money for practice shooting at 1000yds. I am looking for info on what MOA base I would need if at all. Will be shooting 77-80gr bullets @ 2900fps from a .223 with a Leupold VXIII 4.5x14/Target knobs. Just did not want to get a 20 when I needed a 30. No need for a base to sit in the drawer.

It depends how many MOAs of internal adjustment your scope has. Sight it in at 100 yards and see how much adjustment you have left. Look at a drop chart and see how much elevation you need to shoot 1000 yards and figure your need from there.

It depends how many MOAs of internal adjustment your scope has. Sight it in at 100 yards and see how much adjustment you have left. Look at a drop chart and see how much elevation you need to shoot 1000 yards and figure your need from there.

Thanks I did that already. This 1000yd stuff is literally almost out of my price range of affordability. I am into it a lot now....can afford a little more but not a lot more. I just can not afford to spend money on items that will just sit and not get used.
I will need almost all of my adustment from center with a non-angled base. I don't want to have it maxed out one direction or the other in adjustments. So, based on data 30MOA would put me almost dead on at 1000 if scope was zeroed mid adjustment "IF" the data is correct. Just hoping for some real world experiences as that usually is much more accurate.
Thanks again for the input.

You're looking at about 70 MOA from a 100 yd zero running 69gr SMK at 2900 fps.

I'd lean towards the 30 MOA base for the reasons you mentioned.

Or, get a reticle with holdover. Then, use the reticle plus dialing to get your elevation.

-- richard

It is set-up and rifle dependant. Zero the rifle and check the available adjustment...then compare to the adjustment needed for the distance you want to shoot...then pick a base accordingly. We could theorize about it all day but real world numbers are what matter.

You need 70 MOA.

Leupold provides specs on their website for the rated amount of elevation adjustment. You weren't specific enough about which scope you actually have.

e.g. Specs on this one...
Leupold || VX-3 4.5-14x50mm

...says 120 MOA elevation adjustment (60 up and 60 down)

A 30 MOA base means you only need to dial ~40 MOA below center to get to 1k.

A 20 MOA base means you need to dial ~50 MOA below center of your scope's adjustment range.

The Varmint Hunter Reticle gives you 8.4 MOA to the bottom stadia. So, you could in theory use a zero MOA base and dial 60 MOA to the bottom and hold on the bottom stadia with that reticle and get to 1k. But, it's not advisable for the reasons you listed.

i.e. It's better to be nearer to the middle of your elevation adjustment range rather than rock bottom to give more windage adjustment.

Find the specs for your scope and do the math.

Good luck!
Richard

WELL I AM FORGETTING ABOUT A 223 FOR 1000yds!!!! Thanks for all the input, and I probably jumped ahead too much. I tried the 223 I have. It shoots 55's into .25 but it keyholes 70-80's.

On to shopping for a new gun...ugh!!! I have to succeed at something I start. I am unable to walk away or stop until I am successful. It's only money right??? LOL

You don't have to forget about this project, it just takes a little planning and testing. It is quite doable with the right bullets, powder, scope and twist rate.

Here is a report of my completing this quest with Josh Ruby.

northtexasrifleprecision.freeforums.org • View topic - Reloading with Jerry!

About 1/2 way down you will see my loads for the Ar.

I think he said 70-80gr bullets keyhole in his rifle. So, his twist is likely too slow. So, it's rebarrel or new rifle. Or, lots of windage to deal with using 55gr bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.