What 1000yd Cartridge with 30-06 action

Reelamin

I have decided I need a new rifle for 1000yd practice. I can not afford the actual shooting cost let alone the rebarrel cost of a big bore rifle for pracice. I shoot a 300RUM for Elk/LR hunting, but have no desire to burn a barrel out in one year.
I have a 700 ADL 06 I bought just in case and the case has come up. I have priced it out and I can rebarrel it for the same cost as a new rifle. I know this may seem odd, but this will be a 1000yd practice rifle. It will be braked with a heavy 28" barrel so I can get used to "doping" 1000 yard shots. My ideal world would be about 200 rounds a month for practice.
I just can not afford to burn up ammo at 1-2 dollars a shot not counting burning a barrel out for practice. (Sorry I know I mentioned that before.)

I am open to suggestions from those who shoot 1000yds. Please take a second and explain why you feel the caliber you suggest is the way to go.

The only dies I have for this action/case head are 243, 308, 25-06, 270, 280, and 30-06. I don't mind starting with new dies and brass if I have to. As I mentioned tryind to save a buck or two. I still need to send a sope off for turrets or buy a new one. I just dont see a lot of talking about these calibers for 1000yd shooting.

Am I wasting my time thinking about a 260 or a 6.5-06? I did search this but did not find specific info. If you know of a thread please post it.

If you want to keep the cost down I'd say go with the .308 or .260. Both are quite capable of getting you there and both are very affordable to buy either factory ammo or reloading components for.

Of course you could always just stay with the 30-06 as well since it's more than capable.

+1

If costs are issue, shoot out the 30-06.

Great round. Plentiful components.

Different is not always better.

ADL's have been some of my more accurate shooters......

Given that you want to shoot this rifle 200+ rounds per month, I think heavy priority should be placed on barrel life. That in mind, shoot out the current 30'06 barrel, then rebarrel to the same or 308.

Duh I am a idiot...I was all worked up about this 1000yd practice gun. Thanks all for B-Slapping me back to common sense. Got all wrapped up in "NEW" and have to fix this issue, and totally overlooked what I have.

Just ordered a new base (20 MOA), rings, and will be dropping it off for a brake Tue.

Thanks..really thanks. I had my head up my rear and was ready to drop the gun off for a re-barrel and brake.

Now on to some shooting with the daughters boyfriend. Yep, first time talking to little JR...sharp knives and good shooting got the attention of the last one. LOL

Glad I don't date your daughter but then I'd say how about it pops, wanna take a crack at my .338 Lapua???:D:D

Just pulling your chain btw...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.