30-06 that could

Thinking about dusting off my childhood .30-06! It's a Colt "Coltsman" lightweight bolt action rifle. I'll be feeding it 124g Hammer Hunters @ 3,200 - 3,400 fps…. If I can get it to shoot, look out critters!
I have a load of 125 Accubond @ 3175 out of a factory 24" Rem 700 that you can cover with a quarter and follows my bdc reticle out to 600.
Not afraid to double shoulder a whitetail and a joy to shoot.

Last edited:
The old '06 is factory loaded to lower pressures than the .270 or 25-06 due to some old rifles chambered for it. When loaded to those same pressures in a strong, modern, bolt action rifle, it is not a long cased .308 Win. It is a whole different cat. Even Better A.I.'d

Dad, a Bataan Death March survivor from the famed 26th Cavalry Regiment, recounted some of the horrors of the war while we were fishing one day.

By the time the horsemen retreated to Bataan they were pretty battered from meeting the Japanese head on, and ran a pitch battle and delaying actions town after town.

Bataan was running low on meat, once they got there they were ordered to turn in their mounts to the Quartermaster. The remnants of the 26th then became combat teams. A formidable one. Not a well known fact, the 26th had M1 Garands.

All he said, plug a Japanese in the chest with a 30-06, game is over, no follow up shot needed.

If I'm planning on hunting under 300 yds (where most of mine is done) I take my 4lb, 37'' muzzle to butt, Kimber Adirondack in 308 with me. It's a joy to pack in timber where the elk and black bear spend their time. If I'm going to be firing across valleys 500+ yards the 7mm mag comes with.. it's heavier, 26'' barrel and more of pita to carry but yeah those are my two tools.

I know Ron Spomer hates the 308 and 30-06 lol or at least waffles a bit regarding the '06 but it's a fine cartridge.

Here's a good article.. the 06's ballistics are a bit better than the 308 and carried a little more KE downrange so it's even closer at short(er) ranges. https://www.snipercountry.com/300-win-mag-vs-308/

Last edited:
Funny to see this post! Shane and I both were messing with the then new RL 17 and the 308/208 AMAX over a decade ago. The powder was paradigm changing for the 308 and heavies. I moved on from that setup and currently shoot PP2KMR and the 180 Bergers at about 2800. The '06 was always intriguing, and eventually built one. It originally had a sammi chamber and a 26" Lilja. 200 ELDX's and a good charge of RL 17 got me to 2900 fps. That combination got my antelope one year at 911y, and my then 15 year old daughter's loper at 565. I wanted to take it a little further so to speak, and had a Proof 9 twist 28" spun onto the trued remington 700. I used the Serengeti reamer, and even throated it further out to max mag length with some of the longer VLD type bullets. Currently working with the 205 EH Berger, and have a few hundred of the 200-20X Bergers as well. Finding the same nodes as the above shooters using Lapua Brass. This is no longer "grandad's '06", and taking the cartridge to this level is a pretty potent combination for sure. I've shot it to 1450 with silly precision. Going to try VV N560 next, as it seems like the Finnish flavor of RL22 might get at little more speed. Rifle specs:
Proof as above
Trued Rem 700
Badger Lug and bolt knob
Tubb firing pin and spring
Trigger Tech
Spuhr 20 MOA mount
Nightforce 20 MOA base
Magpul Pro
Athlon Cronus BTR
TBAC brake/can mount

I love that guys are seeing some of the benefits of the old design using new components.

Attachments

• E685CFAE-FA9E-4636-A5D4-72C9E85F8FB5.jpeg
    E685CFAE-FA9E-4636-A5D4-72C9E85F8FB5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
Who can ever say anything bad about a 30-06 , in a Good Shooting bolt action rifle ,for hunting deer. That Cooper is a really fine-looking rifle !!!!I have a few 06 rifles, This one is a custom Rifle , built on an FN action, with German Claw Mounts and a Heindsoldt scope. Tons of engraving and double set triggers. Circa 1940'sThe other is an Interarms Mark X Mannlicher ( Spelling ) with a 20 inch barrel. Was My NY State and Maine deep woods rifle. Used to load 165 Grn Sierra GK's. The last is a Winchester Model 95 Theadore Roosevelt Commemorative also lots of engraving, and very nice wood . Unfored ,Still in the box from 1980 something. As I am a huge 270 Fan for Whitetail and other deer sized game, I never forget, I wouldn't have the 270 Win, if it weren't for the 06, in the first place. By the way Gary, I will be hunting in Maryland in Jan. late season rifle, on Eastern Shore.

Attachments

• IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    752.2 KB · Views: 66
Loving this post with the new data.
I'm a little behing the curve with the '06, even though im pretty fond of the cartridge and it was my dad's favorite since he shot the garand in the army. I now have his bought new in '57 remmy 760 that he shot countless deer, elk and bear with. He fed us kids with that gun.

I'd never change his old rifle, but would like to build a new/old one for myself on an old 700 action. What is this serengeti chamber y'all are talking about?

It's basically a "match" type reamer. The old sammi style has some dimensions that aren't exactly conducive to ultimate accuracy. It was designed by a guy German Salazar, and he used his '06 competitively. It was a little too short for me in the throat, so I used a uni throater to make my mag length rounds "fit".

Loving this post with the new data.
I'm a little behing the curve with the '06, even though im pretty fond of the cartridge and it was my dad's favorite since he shot the garand in the army. I now have his bought new in '57 remmy 760 that he shot countless deer, elk and bear with. He fed us kids with that gun.

I'd never change his old rifle, but would like to build a new/old one for myself on an old 700 action. What is this serengeti chamber y'all are talking about?

There is a paragraph in the article describing the reamer. The late German Salazar designed the reamer.

Here is the other 06 we used Saturday. Serengeti chamber. 26 inch Bartlein CF, McM sniper fill molded in camo, worked over R-700. SRS Ti Pro 3 ST. Vortex HD LHT 3-15.

215 Bergers right around 2800, a MiniMag.

View attachment 402450

The beauty, we will be in CO, 2nd season. We can interchange ammo between the two rifles. Verified precision and drop for each. My 28 inch stick launches the same ammo at about 35 fps faster.
May be a stupid question but here goes,what is the difference in the Serengeti chamber?