30-06 Recommendations

For a few bucks more... this one checks the boxes.

Cabela's has it on sale right now for $1100!!!

Last edited:
Wait a dang minute…..
Isn't this about the time when half the guys will tell the OP that he should really being picking a different cartridge (based on their own favorite)? :p Must be a slow morning.
Good choice on the 30-06! It really is still a great round and will do most of what needs to be done.
Carry on ;)
I think it's kinda refreshing to see a old warhorse round thought about 😁

Weatherby would be a good choice if I wasn't looking for the 5/8 thread.
Many Browning A-bolts come with the boss which is threaded, braked, & a sleeve is available if one doesn't want the brake. I'll vouch for the Boss Brake, it WORKS I have 4 with the Boss

Bergara Sierra Wilderness is at the top of the list right now based on recommendations.

View attachment 552276

Hopefully you have better luck than me. My Sierra 7PRC is back at Bergara because it was shooting 4" groups. I don't know if it's because the rifle has the worst bolt lug engagement I've ever seen or if it's because the barrel is so rough that it looks like a copper mine after 10 rounds (after a 40 round break in) or a combination of both. Regardless though, I've bought 3 Bergaras over the years and all 3 of them have gone back because they wouldn't shoot worth a **** out of the box. The other two came back shooting good so hopefully this one will too, but I don't think I'll be buying any more Bergaras in the future because their build quality just isn't there.

This is the bolt lugs on my Sierra after 60 rounds. Absolute garbage.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0755.jpeg
    IMG_0755.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 32
I bought a used Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker Long Range 30-06 and had the barrel shortened to 22" by a local gunsmith. I then dropped it into a Boyd's At-One stock and had it bedded:

Xbolt.JPG

I used that rifle during the 2021 Nebraska deer season and was blessed with this big boy:

IMG_4024.JPG

I did load development using the Speer 168gr Gold Dot bonded bullets over RL16. Here is the final load and the target as measured using a caliper to plot the points in my PointBlank Ballistics program:
1710091234417.png

I don't know if it's under 7.5lbs with that stock, but that 22" medium sporter barrel seems to work really good as it is.

I'm thinning down my collection to make room in the safe if you are interested in it. PM me if so and we can discuss.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I decided to purchase a HOWA barreled action from Brownell's in 30-06. They had a 15% off coupon for it, so it was a very good price. I have the adapter for it on hand (y'all kind of talked me into that) and also a custom 30 cal brake I had made for a previous HOWA that is the correct profile for the barrel. I think I may go old school and get a walnut stock from Boyd's. I have a new Arken 5-24x50 in the box that was waiting for my next rifle.

Recent Posts