30/06

Hard Head

Well here it goes...........I have gone through over 400 of Hornady's 208 ELD Match in my Remington 700 with a factory 26 Long range barrel H S precision stock and 4 1/2 -14 Burris, my recent test show that the CCI BR2 is more consistent than the Fed 210 Match velocity has run about 7 fps slower but S.D. has ran from 2.26 to 8.6 for the last 15 rounds,have been using 62.8 grains of R26 with a drop tube neck sizing only and length is 3.595 o.l. No pressure signs and it prints right at .375-.425 for 3 at 100 yds. that's with my almost 72 year old eyes,so young ones would do much better,cases are on there 12 loading and primer pockets are still snug, I can not wait to try it at some long away targets,Oh Brass is Remington and necks are annealed every 4 shot. Pete

I am running 62 gr RL26, 200 gr ELDX, Fed 210, Winchester case, in my 30-06. I am .010" off lands, at 2.635" base to ogive, COAL is 3.280".
I don't use a drop tube, but I do use a top secret powder swirling technique... LOL!

Rifle is a Savage 110 with a featherweight 22" barrel, that my dad gave to me. Previous owner bought it new in 1991, fired it 3 times, and stored it in a soft case since. Dad traded a lefty 308 for it. Rifle is pristine, but I need to shed the 1990's Tasco scope! LOL!

I am getting 2750 FPS with that load, and short barrel. I was getting ready to jump test the load, but based on Hard Head's experience and post, I may just have to give those CCI BR2's a try as well.

I would guess Hard Head is north of 2800 FPS with his load and longer barrel.

RL26 seems to me to be a great powder for the 30-06 and heavy projectiles. Not sure why it isn't listed for the caliber by anyone that I could find?

I am running 62 gr RL26, 200 gr ELDX, Fed 210, Winchester case, in my 30-06. I am .010" off lands, at 2.635" base to ogive, COAL is 3.280".
I don't use a drop tube, but I do use a top secret powder swirling technique... LOL!

Rifle is a Savage 110 with a featherweight 22" barrel, that my dad gave to me. Previous owner bought it new in 1991, fired it 3 times, and stored it in a soft case since. Dad traded a lefty 308 for it. Rifle is pristine, but I need to shed the 1990's Tasco scope! LOL!

I am getting 2750 FPS with that load, and short barrel. I was getting ready to jump test the load, but based on Hard Head's experience and post, I may just have to give those CCI BR2's a try as well.

I would guess Hard Head is north of 2800 FPS with his load and longer barrel.

RL26 seems to me to be a great powder for the 30-06 and heavy projectiles. Not sure why it isn't listed for the caliber by anyone that I could find?
I found that RL16 works very well in the '06 too! You guys might give that a try as well.

I have a very good load in my TC venture with RL 17.
My rifle has a very long throat, and I'm running 3.46" coal. I'm getting 2790 fps with a hex coated 208 ELD. Very round primers, and no ejector marks in Winchester brass.
I can only get 2720fps in Lapua brass with a lower charge.

Well here it goes...........I have gone through over 400 of Hornady's 208 ELD Match in my Remington 700 with a factory 26 Long range barrel H S precision stock and 4 1/2 -14 Burris, my recent test show that the CCI BR2 is more consistent than the Fed 210 Match velocity has run about 7 fps slower but S.D. has ran from 2.26 to 8.6 for the last 15 rounds,have been using 62.8 grains of R26 with a drop tube neck sizing only and length is 3.595 o.l. No pressure signs and it prints right at .375-.425 for 3 at 100 yds. that's with my almost 72 year old eyes,so young ones would do much better,cases are on there 12 loading and primer pockets are still snug, I can not wait to try it at some long away targets,Oh Brass is Remington and necks are annealed every 4 shot. Pete
2848 to 2859 depending n temp, have shot it from -12 t0 88

Sounds like you have a real nice load for your 30-06, Hard Head!
I probably won't be doing much long range shooting with mine. My plan for this rifle is mostly normal range deer and elk.
If I am truthful, I actually stumbled on using RL26 in my 30-06. I had some left over in a one pound container from load developing other calibers, and I thought why not try to use it up in a 308 and in this 30-06? I've seen other people have good luck with it in smaller chambering than what I was using it for, so I thought I'd give it a try, and the results sure please me in both rifles.
I have yet to check on ES and SD for my loads, I've just started working with it, but your post gives me reason to believe I'm on the right track with it anyway.

Thanks for sharing what you're doing with us!

What I like about R26 is I have been able to get it very regular,usually from Scheels Sports here in Appleton ,last order was for 8 1# bottles,was about 178.00,they have sense put it on there regular powders in-stock, seems that some people have not tried it too much, and really know little about it,and very little reloading data. The problem with some data is that they use old Samy specs, if used in modern firearms then a competent loader will look at data like the .270 Win. on it's pressure rating and see that the 06 being the same case but with a shorter neck can be loaded to the same pressures. But to do so you should have a crony,be able to read pressures,use a mic with at least 4 digits and start up low,when you get close to max you will see velocity start to slow with increase's in powder charge's watch for sticky bolt and enlarged primer pockets. I always use new cases and a hand held priming tool,you can really tell about pressures, when I seem to find a sweet spot then go off on the seat depth or overall length and make sure they feed,like with the Remington 700's when using a long or short action I some times have to get a Wyatt's extended Magazine box, easy fix but you need a Floor plate type of action to do it. On cartridge length, I have found a lot depends on the throat and case as a full charge with r26 in my 06 with remy brass overflows in Fed brass and loads about the same as win brass. I use a drop tube because my Hornady Dies will leave a dimpled ring because they did not send a extra bullet seater ,and I refuse to pay $20.00 bucks because they will not include it,Guess I should just bite the bullet and get some precision dies as they are really not that much more Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.