30-06 General Hunting Bullet Recommendation

+1 on the Hornady BTSP. I have used these in 180gr with excellent performance ,great expansion and energy transfer. I hunted with my friend this fall who used the 165gr out of a .308 Win to take an bull elk at 460 yards. Bullet penetrated through the upper chest and lower spine. Bullet recovered under the hide on the opposite side, weight retention was about 60%. They also have a reasonable BC and have been accurate out of the 2 guns I have shot them in... also a very good value.

+2 on the hornady
I toss 'em as my bullet in my 300 win and they got me a nice mule deer at 500+ yards this year on a trotting critter in a cross wind. I do launch 'em a bit faster than the '06 can, but I've used it in the '06 before and it's been great there too. I try to use 4350 in the '06. Rl22 in the 300 win..

My brother uses 165 grain Nosler AccuBond bullets with 47.0 grains of Hodgdon BenchMark powder, Federal Gold Medal Match GM210M primers, Winchester Nickel brass, about 0.02" off the lands with a very slight crimp. That load seems to work best in his 30-06. (I have tried to convince him to use better brass, but he got these and is happy with them, so I leave it alone ;-)

The AccuBond performs really good as far as instant kills at decent ranges. I wish I could give you a more extensive kill report, as this isn't my gun. I can give you much more details on the bullet performance with my Browning 300 Win Mag with 180 grains. But his 30-06 seems to have no problems dropping them where they stand.

My son just got his first hunting rifle and he went with a BSA 30-06 with a beautiful walnut/rosewood monte carlo stock. He will be using the same exact load above that my brother uses.

I also have bought 200 of the new 300 grain Nosler AccuBonds for my .338 Lapua Magnum I just purchased. So obviously I am a little biased on the AccuBonds. But for 30-06 my brother swears by them for 100-600 yard shots that deliver instant kill shots.

Last edited:
I'll give my .02.

For a 30-06 short range out to 500yrds my bullet choice is the GS Custom 150g HV. I run these out of a 30-06 at 3250 fps. This bullet kills like lightning and meat damage is nil. Nothing on the North American Continent stands a chance.

Steve

question,

what is the difference between the Hornady Interlock BTSP and the Hornady SST?

thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts