3 lug vs 2 lug: GO!

2 lug or 3 lug bolt action

• Total voters
90 degree two lug for smooth on my varmint rifles and target guns.

Three lug short bolt throw on my cold weather hunting rifle. When it's miserable cold out I don't notice a little more loading effort, but I do notice wracking my freezing fingers on the increasingly chubby scope occulars.

I wouldn't turn down a rifle because it is a two lug, and I love my two-lug Model 70s and Kimber Montanas, but I prefer a 3 lug action for clearing the larger ocular of modern scopes.

I guess I'd say if the 2-lugger isn't CRF, then I'd strongly prefer a 3 lug.

Last edited:
I run 2 lug in my hunting guns.
I also shoot short range benchrest. In the BR game the ability to shoot FAST is a big factor. I shoot the BAT 3 lug action in my primary competition rifle. One drawback to 3 lug actions is the bolt lift is slightly harder as the primary cam is at a more abrupt angle vs the 2 lug

Most of my rifles are either custom or semi custom Rem 700 2 lugs and I have no complaints. I had my last custom rifle built on a Terminus action and man I really really like it. I think I will go the Terminus route again if and when I build another. Cheers, Jason

I remember years ago that when shooting competition it was thought that if the bolt lugs locked up at say 12 o clock, 4 o clock, 8 o clock there was more even pressure on the cartridge. I also went to the extreme of measuring cases with a Neco Concentricity gauge for any "Banana" curvature on the brass case due to difference in wall thickness and would mark brass cases to load the same orientation in the chamber.
Today's Actions are built to such high tolerances that it doesn't matter if two or three lug.
Although we do use BAT actions with three lug in our "F" Class and ELR builds.

Yup,.. OR,. the TIKKA, 2 Lug action with, it's Lower, smooth, Bolt Lift.
Good, Rem 700 actions, tho "accurate" ,.. ARE,.. thumb Busters unless, Extended Knob's, are used !
My Next bolt action will probably be,.. a Terminus Zeus.
My Older "Customs" were all on, Weatherby 9 Lug, German, MK-V's and,.. were SWEET !
Plus, Smooth and FAST on, follow up, shots !
Agreed on the Tikka!

Whether factory or custom or some hybrid of the two like a generic factory rifle that's been customized, do the fine folks of LRH have a strong preference either way? I know the 3 lug actions boast shorter bolt lift…I've never had issues with a 2 lug either tho….

Just making conversation, not buying anything (at the moment 😁)

Most of us have one or two specific bolt rifles that are "our baby" haha….is your baby a 3 or a 2 lug? Pictures welcome! 😁

3 lugs or 2, which do you think is better and why? GO!!!!
Not a factory thing, but a 2 lug 90° throw bolt and action is far easier to true and tune than a recessed 3 lug 60° throw bolt and action.
I actually dislike the less camming force of a 60° throw, so my preference has always been for a 2 lug bolt.
Most budget priced actions are 3 lug because it is a simpler and less time consuming design to make. This is not to say "inferior", or a poorer design, they do shoot well, no doubt about it.
The Mauser '98 was the first true upgrade to any bolt action that made concentric improvements to how everything aligned, which has been copied ever since. The Mauser '96 came close, but the rear locking on closing bolt wasn't quite there yet.

Cheers.

Not a factory thing, but a 2 lug 90° throw bolt and action is far easier to true and tune than a recessed 3 lug 60° throw bolt and action.
I actually dislike the less camming force of a 60° throw, so my preference has always been for a 2 lug bolt.
Most budget priced actions are 3 lug because it is a simpler and less time consuming design to make. This is not to say "inferior", or a poorer design, they do shoot well, no doubt about it.
The Mauser '98 was the first true upgrade to any bolt action that made concentric improvements to how everything aligned, which has been copied ever since. The Mauser '96 came close, but the rear locking on closing bolt wasn't quite there yet.

Cheers.
That makes sense. Some of my favourite rifles are of that m98 lineage. Definitely choice number one for a " when 💩 hits the fan this MUST be reliable" type of hunting rifle.

My husqvarna m98 8x57, BRNO ZG47 .358 Norma, and Winchester m70 express in 450 ackley all inspire full confidence in the field as rugged reliable well made pieces of hardware.

I actually don't own any 3 lugs yet, maybe ever, who knows.

That makes sense. Some of my favourite rifles are of that m98 lineage. Definitely choice number one for a " when 💩 hits the fan this MUST be reliable" type of hunting rifle.

My husqvarna m98 8x57, BRNO ZG47 .358 Norma, and Winchester m70 express in 450 ackley all inspire full confidence in the field as rugged reliable well made pieces of hardware.

I actually don't own any 3 lugs yet, maybe ever, who knows.
All of my 416 Rigby Improved wildcats are built on either stock or modified CZ 550 Safari models, they all hold 4 in the mag, 2 have been increased from 3.8" mag length to 4" and the other 2 are single shots with a Delrin block in the magwell and the hinged floor plate cannot drop accidentally. It is a simple procedure to remove if required, but our 2K course rules dictate single shot only and no magazine either internal or detachable.
I found these actions to be very concentric as made, even though the finish may be seen as rough by some, but forging does this. Pity they stopped making them.

Cheers.

I've got a few 3 lug actions and a bunch of 2 lug actions in the safe. We also have a Savage straight pull with ball bearings for lugs. All work; all go bang, are accurate, and cycle well.