Recoil lug...?

I'm a little confused about anyone at BAT asking about recoil lugs. I thought they all had lugs midway back the action just like mine does. Underneath, where they magwell would be, if not a single shot, there is a slot cut and a recoil lug sits up underneath the action there. If need be, it's a little farther forward I think.

The bottom of a BAT is so thick and the tang so large, that I can't immagine needing anything more than that even though they mine has the other lug, I use the tang for other reasons. It has more surface area exposed on the tang of a Remington lug has. That is an 1.550 action though. Just don't sit on the shear of the screws and you'll be fine. I've never tried a glue in and I'm not sure I want to just for the permanent nature of it.

Say you have a model 70
the recoil lug is part of the action
Has anyone heard of placing an additional
recoil lug between the action and the barrel
or is that overkill????

Hey Devil... er... Jake
grin.gif

Your right if the screws are touching then somethings botched!
However, the tang on that action in your pic don't look much different than a Nesika tang and they all have lugs! But your right on the action flexing- that one would flex less than a Remmy. But it will still be there.
Glue in is not answer for recoil. You would be totally relying on the bonding of the epoxy between the stock and the action. No thanks. Without another recoil surface, it would shoot loose over time.
Look at a Badger, Tubb, Holland lug- they stick down a hell of a lot more than a factory lug.
I'm not saying you can't build a rifle without a lug but there must be a reason why 99.99% of all rifles have 'em.
wink.gif

Some smiths also machine a recess in the action where the pillar is to go and can be used for recoil purposes. I learned this when I recently bought a Quadlite action from RPA. It comes with a recoil lug but can be installed using just the pillars so I am told. It is a different approach but I am told that it works. I am actually having this action installed a little overkill because I am going to use the recoil lug and the four pillars that can be installed. A little extra but better peace of mind!!!!

Hey Chris.. I ain't so sure that a soul would be totally relying on the glue joint for recoil absorbtion.. Most of the custon actions I am familiar with are set into the inletting as opposed to setting on the inletting like most round actions do.. That's where the "recoil lug effect" comes from at the rear of the action.. As stated before, there's always the possibility that this theory is total equine ca-ca..
grin.gif

.. I'd be suprised if'n 'ol Brent isn't anxiously awaiting a return email from Bruster Thom hisself on th' subject as we speak.. Hehehe..
grin.gif
d:^) JiNC

Jake,
I was clarifying that a glue in kob alone would not hold up. I understand what you are saying about flat bottom setting in, not on the bedding. But a weak arguement because again I point to Nesika. They commonly build "benchrest" actions in the round configuration with a tang that goes "in" the stock/bedding not on top like a Remmy. Point is is doen't really make a difference whether it is round or flat bottomed (that'a a whole 'nother arguement that will never be settled) it still needs some kind of recoil surface. Regardless, recoiling surface being on the tang still puts the action into compression even in super stiff custom single shots and even in low recoiling "benchrest" calibers.
And to answer your question about the amount of lug sticking below the action- the reason the Badger's, Tubb etc stick down more than a standard Remmy or even a Win. is to provide more surface area to spread the recoil load over. Leverage does not come into play as there is no pivot point. Recoil comes straight back. It does not rotate anything in the stock.
To answer MC's original question probably needs a little more info from him- I would guess the smith at BAT was asking him what lug he wanted, not IF he wanted one but I could be wrong.

Funny Jake.
grin.gif

Transmission fun has really been keeping me buisy lately!

I'm not sure which action you're getting this done on, but here's what Bruce told me:

Brent

All of our 8.5 model M, have them machined into the bottom with a crossbar .5 sqaure 1.0 long bolted in. The 10 model L also has this type of recoil lug.

Now our smaller actions, the models B and S do not have this type of recoil lug, they have a cut about 1.3 long and .2 deep across the bottom of the action. This forms a reverse type recoil lug when the action is bedded, and is plenty of recoil area for any cartridge up to a 308- 30-06 size. We have added the cross bar type lug to a couple of the B models over the years, on special request – There is not a whole lot of area gained using the crossbar VS the cut in the bottom.

I hope this clears up your question!

Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.