2nd year Elk hunting, 1st year in Tex Creek Idaho

Hawkeye Pierce

Okay guys, I'm looking for any advice on this area, backpacking, late September archery and possibly late Nov rifle. Last year it was rough in the Frank Church Wilderness, lots of lessons learned, hoping to keep the pack as close to 30 lbs as possible. Planning on a couple days at a time. Im upgrading pack, looking at Mystery Ranch, sleeping bag most likely a 3 season, boots definitely good waterproof boots. Any other information would be appreciated, better to make informed decisions. Looking at starting in zone 69 in the lower rolling hills, being a disabled veteran I'm working on getting into better shape but any real world eyes on animals would bless me greatly. Thanks for any help.

I live in Idaho Falls which is very close to unit 69. I refuse to hunt that unit because of all the private ground and also there are way too many people that hunt it. Do a little research on 58 & 59. I spent a day out there deer hunting last fall and you could not look through your binoculars without having elk hair in them. The units north towards Salmon are good for elk but as you get closer to Salmon the mountains get a lot more vertical. PM me if you would like.

I live in Idaho Falls which is very close to unit 69. I refuse to hunt that unit because of all the private ground and also there are way too many people that hunt it. Do a little research on 58 & 59. I spent a day out there deer hunting last fall and you could not look through your binoculars without having elk hair in them. The units north towards Salmon are good for elk but as you get closer to Salmon the mountains get a lot more vertical. PM me if you would like.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for next year, I already got the tag for tex creek. Ill do my best for im learning so all advice is appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.