284 THOR/Alaska Black Bear

RH300UM

I just got home from Alaska and a costal black bear hunt on Prince of Wales island. I got my bear on the first day of the hunt.
One shot at 475 yards with the THOR put this bruin down for good.

gun)

P5200195.jpg

The next day hunter2 in my group shoots his bear with his rifle. Problems is the shot hit a branch and the bullet hits the bear in the front leg at the wrist/ankle area. I follow up with a shot to the front shoulder at 250 yards with the THOR. Bear number 2 down.

gun)

P5220203.jpg

Day 3 hunter 3 in my group sees what the THOR can do and wants to use the rifle now to shoot his bear with. 275 yards and 2 shots (1st shot missed, nerves) and bear number 3 is down.

gun)

P5230221.jpg

Skip to day number 5 and hunter 4 in my group. After seeing what this rifle and bullet combo can do he definatly wants to use the THOR to shoot his bear.
260 yard shot and bear number 4 is down.

gun)

P5240242.jpg

Four bears down in five days with the same rifle. Outstading to say the least!!!
For those that are interested the 180 SMK does major damage at the velocity (3236 fps) I am using.

Travis you build one hellavua great rifle!!!

There are 3 new converts to long range hunting now!

What are the specs on rifle and load??
Great shooting!!

Rifle specs--- All work done by TRAVIS REDELL of RBROS RIFLES
Rem 700 action
Brux barrel #5 contour, 1in8 twist
Defensive Edge Brake
Manners super-ultralite 90% carbon fiber stock
Seekins bottom metal and detachable mag
Jewell trigger set at 1.8 pounds
Nightforce 20 moa base
Nightforce Ultra-Lite rings
Huskemaw scope

Load Spec-- Norma brass
97 gr. US 869
Fed 215 Mag Match Primers
180 SMK seated 10 thou off the lands

1/4 moa at 100yards and have tested out to 1500 yards!!!

I have 5 firings on this 100 brass.
It is time to start a new batch.
Extraction is getting sticky.
Sorry Sendero Man. I have been up since 5 am Alaska time. Brain is mush.

They had a hard winter up there this year. The bears are just coming out.
3 bears we skinned had zero fat on them.
Some are rubbed bad.
But most are still furred good.

Wow, talk about body count!! I really dig that rifle and the whole build in genera, what does it weight hunt readyl!!!

Last edited:
Nice hunt.Thats common up there for them to get that rub on face and fore legs are,digging in muskeg.What did the bears run,size?#2 looks big.The average is usually 6 foot plus and 18+ '' on skull.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.