284 THOR/Alaska Black Bear

Nice hunt.Thats common up there for them to get that rub on face and fore legs are,digging in muskeg.What did the bears run,size?#2 looks big.The average is usually 6 foot plus and 18+ '' on skull.

all 4 bears were over 19 inches. bears 1 and 4 were a 1/16 th short of 20 inches. All green of course. Bear 2 was estimated to be 10 years old by the sealer.

Thanks for posting the pictures! Looks like you had a fantastic hunt using a great rifle! Travis does build awesome rifles. I have one of his 7WSM's that shoots likes out with 180 VLD's!

Hey, I live over here in Ketchikan. You were in some good turf. Coworker just got back from Prince of Wales bear hunt this morning. He was on East side which is a quick 15 mile boat ride for us. He got into a good group that all had white diamonds on their chest. Will make some good rugs.
I'm glad you posted that you used SMK. I drew an Etolin Island elk tag for October and was on the fence about what bullet to use for this once a life hunt. I have 500 142gr 6.5 matchkings that just came in mail for my Rifles Inc 6.5 STW. I'm going to use them for this hunt now. Thanks

Tim

Hey, I live over here in Ketchikan. You were in some good turf. Coworker just got back from Prince of Wales bear hunt this morning. He was on East side which is a quick 15 mile boat ride for us. He got into a good group that all had white diamonds on their chest. Will make some good rugs.
I'm glad you posted that you used SMK. I drew an Etolin Island elk tag for October and was on the fence about what bullet to use for this once a life hunt. I have 500 142gr 6.5 matchkings that just came in mail for my Rifles Inc 6.5 STW. I'm going to use them for this hunt now. Thanks

Tim

Sure do love POW. This was the 3rd trip for me. Good luck on your elk hunt. Let us know how it plays out.

For those interested here is a pic of the 180 SMK doing it's job at 200 yards.
I can fit my fist in the hole.

P5220218.jpg

What an awesome hunt! Congrats on some fine animals too. That isn't Klawack lake in the background is it?
I love POW! Lisa and I have been there many times for bear and blacktail deer. We usually fly to Ketchikan, take the ferry to Hollis and stay in either Ruthanne's in Craig or Trophy inn in Klowack. The last couple of times we rented a forest service cabin for $25 a night! It slept eight. Last November I treated Lisa, my two daughters and son to a hunt on POW and I payed less than $6000 for flights, food, ferry, car rental, cabin, four tags and two bottles of Crown Royal. Ya got ta love POW!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.