My new 284 THOR

What powder and bullet are you using?

Travis was using Retumbo powder topped with the 180gr. Berger

I ampulling my foot out of my mouth now Jim. I am so sorry about the "Jazz" thing.
That is an outstanding looking chocolate lab. We are going to talk more about her. I am a big fan of labs. I have a yellow female now.

Bro

I can't wait to shot this one. Sounds like it will be a GREAT light weight long range gun.

I just got back from the range with my light weight long range gun. 1.5 inch group at 300 yards on the steel plate (at the hunter ed center).

Your Thor with that Huskima and Berger bullets will be one hell of a combination!! Almost can't wait for hunting season to be over so we can go shoot it........Almost. First things first.

I haven,t shot it at distance yet. I have just fireformed 20 rounds of brass so far. Life is hecktic right now. Besides it is single digits for the outside temp now. Hopefully things will smooth out and the temp will warm up some so I can continue with load devolpment.

Sorry to all who were tracking this thred. I scewed up and started a new one instead of continuing on this one.

For those interested the new thread is titled -- 284 Thor progress

RH300UM

Any updates on the 284 THOR?

Final load spec's?

How far have you taken it out to?

This reply is a late one but better late then never.
Final load I have worked up is a follows:

180 SMK's seated to 5 thou of the lands
97gr. US869
fedral215 gold primers

Velocity 3236 at 4800' elevation
ES in the high single digits never over 18fps.
1/2 inch groups at a hundred yards.

I have taken a elk in Wyoming at 400 yards with it so far.
My longest shots to date are at 1500 yards.
It groups very well at long distances.

I have found that the brass has to be annealed after 2 reloads to bring the neck tension back to spec.
The Norma brass is holding up well as I am on the 5th reload on this bunch of brass.

This rig is a blast to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.