280 AI

Real world speed with a 22" and 140's 160's. Wanting to build a lighter shorter rifle ( already
have a 9# 7 mag) and will be running a can.

Thanks
I'm at 25", and running the 155 Absolute Hammer at 3186 fps with RL16. Can probably get 3300-3400 with the 140 Absolute Hammer. At 22" you should be able to get some good velocity.

I am a very basic reloader and just about ready to start some loads for my weatherby backcountry 2.0 in 280ai. The two powders i have on hand to try are 7828ssc and rl23. I really anticipated the 7828ssc was the better choice but reading this thread it looks like there are a lot rl23 fans. If you were me, understanding that i am a basic reloader, which powder should i start with?

My .280 Ackley has a 22" brux and wears a Tbac Ultra 7, speeds are as follows:

RL-26 Loads
168 VLD @2875
165 Sierra Gamechanger @2890
162 ELDx @2950
160 Accubond @3000
143 Hammer Hunter @ 3150

H4831sc Loads
154 SST @2905
140 Accubond @3000

(Notes: I've had great success with RL-26 both speed and accuracy wise. H4831sc has been great too, just slower. Would love to try RL-23 as well one day. All of these are with Nosler brass and CCI BR2s. I've had good luck with the Nosler brass, going on 10 loadings so far on my first batch and the primer pockets are still tight.)

Real world speed with a 22" and 140's 160's. Wanting to build a lighter shorter rifle ( already
have a 9# 7 mag) and will be running

Thanks
Browning hills Canyon 6 and a 1/2 pounds straight out of the Box scope and all 7.2 pounds $1400 haven't even shot again that would be where I would end up going

Jarrett built me a 28AI back in the 80s. l was not impressed. Sold it.
l went back to my ole 270WIN.
Parker Ackley tried his ''lmproved'' voodoo on just about every ctg l can think of, EXCEPT the 270Win. Ever wonder WHY?? He could not ''improve'' PERFECTION
I understood Ackley felt the 270 was already about the maximum powder capacity for a .277" diameter projectile, so nothing but loss of efficiency would be gained.

Interesting. I believe I read that somewhere else. Or it has been determine at other times. For me I'll have to put it into my notes. I was understanding that for each 1" of barrel length you gained between 25 and 50 fps. Some say more. Never cut down a barrel that I had recorder before and after.

I am in low to mid 2800's with RL23 and 175 Berger Elite Hunters. 24" barrel. Use Peterson brass and 210m primers. Was struggling to get load prior to western hunt. Tried the 175 and got great groups. Had some speed data from prior attempts with this combo. Found that seating depth was the limiting factor on previous loads. Got 3 consistent groups in .3's. Was only left with 18 bullets to sight in and hunt. 175 EH is impossible to find right now.I have owned 4 280 AI's. I have decided to not worry about speed and use the heavier bullets. I used to chase speed with 140g -160g bullets. Thought about going with longer barrel many times. Shot a Mule Deer at 200y and Whitetail at 350y with this combo this year. Great accuracy and terminal performance. Hate to sound boring on the speed question but I feel that I have finally figured out that speed is one of the least important factors in my hunting situations. All this said, I am not a true LR Hunter. I get weak in the knees at shots much over 400y. Speed may be crucial to you experienced folks shooting over 500y.

I am in low to mid 2800's with RL23 and 175 Berger Elite Hunters. 24" barrel. Use Peterson brass and 210m primers. Was struggling to get load prior to western hunt. Tried the 175 and got great groups. Had some speed data from prior attempts with this combo. Found that seating depth was the limiting factor on previous loads. Got 3 consistent groups in .3's. Was only left with 18 bullets to sight in and hunt. 175 EH is impossible to find right now.I have owned 4 280 AI's. I have decided to not worry about speed and use the heavier bullets. I used to chase speed with 140g -160g bullets. Thought about going with longer barrel many times. Shot a Mule Deer at 200y and Whitetail at 350y with this combo this year. Great accuracy and terminal performance. Hate to sound boring on the speed question but I feel that I have finally figured out that speed is one of the least important factors in my hunting situations. All this said, I am not a true LR Hunter. I get weak in the knees at shots much over 400y. Speed may be crucial to you experienced folks shooting over 500y.
I am a very basic reloader and just about ready to start some loads for my weatherby backcountry 2.0 in 280ai. The two powders i have on hand to try are 7828ssc and rl23. I really anticipated the 7828ssc was the better choice but reading this thread it looks like there are a lot rl23 fans. If you were me, understanding that i am a basic reloader, which powder should i start with?
RL23 has worked really well for me. N165 will give you great speeds with 140gr bullets.

Thanks
I was in a similar situation. My 7RM weighs in at 12# and is relegated to range work. I went down the 280AI custom path and ended up with 8.5# ready to hunt rifle with a 24" CF Sendero barrel. If I had to do it again, I would select 22" barrel. Screwing on a 7" suppressor to a 24" barrel can make for some extreme ducking maneuvers when hunting in thick areas.