280 AI with Hornady 162ELD-X load data?

I have since rebarreled my 280 AI with a Proof Research 24" barrel. The reason was because i shoot everything suppressed and the Douglas barrel wasn't threaded plus it wasn't large enough to thread it 5/8-24. I'm going to shoot it this weekend with several different loads.

Keep us posted. I tried re 22 and the 162gr eld-x. Groups weren't quite as good as I'd hoped for. I'm running right at 2950. Last week I back out from .010 off, adding .030 each group out to .070 and groups got horrendous. .010 off wasn't too bad. I've loaded up a batch right at the riflings and hope to shoot them soon.
Scooter

Keep us posted. I tried re 22 and the 162gr eld-x. Groups weren't quite as good as I'd hoped for. I'm running right at 2950. Last week I back out from .010 off, adding .030 each group out to .070 and groups got horrendous. .010 off wasn't too bad. I've loaded up a batch right at the riflings and hope to shoot them soon.
Scooter
Scooter, What twist rate is your barrel, and what make is the gun if I may ask? I tried these this past week, with H4350 and you're right that they like to kiss the lands for best accuracy.

I've used RL-22 a lot in the past in my 280 AI, and always got great speed, although usually around 40-50 fps ES with that powder. I'm not sure if my gun will stabilize these really long ELD-X bullets since I only have a 1:10" bbl.

Let us know your results ASAP.... I might go out to 300-600 yards and see if these will stabilize in my rifle today. If not I would be willing to part with them dirt cheap if anyone wants to test them?

Longrange, it's a 9 twist Criterion on a savage action. It shoots lights out with 140gr btips, and sierra gk. I'd just like to shoot a heavier bullet for some better downrange energy.
My es have been in that 40ish range so far. I might switch powders. I used h4831 when I first got it with the 140s but my speeds were pretty anemic.
What kinda accuracy are you getting with that combo?
Scooter

Scooter.....

54.5 H4350 with the 162 ELD-X .020" shot a .52" three shot group, but when I was testing for max pressure and speed I was setting them into the lands and was seeing half of them going into a ragged hole, but with fliers as well.

One thing I noticed about this bullet while seating in new cases was the amount of friction which caused uneven bullet seating depths. In some cases off by as much as .020"-.050", so I'd have to seat them long and adjust each individual one for precise CBTO.

I'm going to retest them in an hour though at .010" off and kissing the lands.

I retested these again in 1x fired Nosler Brass .010" off the lands @ 3.3800 and out of 5 shots only the first and third bullet landed touching each other. #2,4,5 were all over the paper. I just don't think these will stabilize in my rifle. Super low ES 11, and SD 6 with H4350.

I'm done testing them, so I now have 75 162 ELD-X bullets I'll sell for $25.00 shipped, plus 1 unopened box for an additional $38.00.

Id be interested if I knew for sure they were gonna be new load...lol
Scooter
I hear Yah Scooter..... I tested some Woodleigh 160 PP with H4350, RL-22, IMR-4350, and IMR-4831 today too, nothing to hang my hat on other then H4350 produce the best overall groups, then RL-22, and IMR-4831 which had super low ES, and SD..... and like usual IMR-4350 sucked! That powder has only worked well in a 8 Rem. Mag w/200 gr. bullets!

I could make the IMR-4831 shot but only at 2,750 fps, shot it again at 2,850 and just not there! I may test H4350, and IMR-4831 over again using a bipod off the bench.... but I already have a great load using the 150 BT, and a 160 TSX, as well as the 175 NPT which is a 3/4 moa load.

Let me know if you get them to shoot, and good luck!

I have had great luck with Retumbo. I use 168 Berger hunting and get 2900fps easily out of 24 in barrels. I've only built 4 of them so far but all shot great with that combo. The powder comes up 1/3 of the neck and bullets sit right down on it with no compression. 100% load density.

I hear Yah Scooter..... I tested some Woodleigh 160 PP with H4350, RL-22, IMR-4350, and IMR-4831 today too, nothing to hang my hat on other then H4350 produce the best overall groups, then RL-22, and IMR-4831 which had super low ES, and SD..... and like usual IMR-4350 sucked! That powder has only worked well in a 8 Rem. Mag w/200 gr. bullets!

I could make the IMR-4831 shot but only at 2,750 fps, shot it again at 2,850 and just not there! I may test H4350, and IMR-4831 over again using a bipod off the bench.... but I already have a great load using the 150 BT, and a 160 TSX, as well as the 175 NPT which is a 3/4 moa load.

Let me know if you get them to shoot, and good luck!

Longrange....what are your loads with the 150, 160 and the 175 if you don't mind sharing. You don't have to share the exact load, just the powder. I read an article yesterday, (I can't remember the magazine) and he used re19 and 150 ttsx with really good results.

I have had great luck with Retumbo. I use 168 Berger hunting and get 2900fps easily out of 24 in barrels. I've only built 4 of them so far but all shot great with that combo. The powder comes up 1/3 of the neck and bullets sit right down on it with no compression. 100% load density.
Retumbo hasn't even been on my radar, I figured it would be too slow...... I might have to consider it.
I probably won't be able to get to the range until Friday, but hopefully I'll have some good results.
Thanks!
Scooter

Longrange....what are your loads with the 150, 160 and the 175 if you don't mind sharing. You don't have to share the exact load, just the powder. I read an article yesterday, (I can't remember the magazine) and he used re19 and 150 ttsx with really good results.

Retumbo hasn't even been on my radar, I figured it would be too slow...... I might have to consider it.
I probably won't be able to get to the range until Friday, but hopefully I'll have some good results.
Thanks!
Scooter
I thought it wouldn't get enough powder in but it does great. I use the max load listed in hodgdon reloding website. Haven't had pressure in any of them yet.

I thought it wouldn't get enough powder in but it does great. I use the max load listed in hodgdon reloding website. Haven't had pressure in any of them yet.
I will be using RL 26 in my 1000yd gun with 30 inch barrel and 180 elds. I have got crazy good speed with it.

Thanks!
Scooter
Here's the data Scooter,

All Remington FF brass and F210M primers.

150 BT 58.5 IMR-4831@ 3.370"

160 TSX FB 56.0 RL-22@ 3.300". Which BTW is at the lands in my gun.

175 NPT 59.0 IMR-7828@ 3.280"

I don't remember how far off the lands two Nosler bullets are? They were developed 17 years ago except the 160 TSX which I believe was in 2004, but when Barnes first brought them out.

Hope that helps?