280 AI Load Data

2950-2975fps
If I try to push closer to 3000fps, the primer pockets suffer.
I usually use nosler brass, but came across a heck of a deal on 112 rounds of 280 brass for $50.

I have had very good results with ramshot magnum with the 160 and 168 grain bullets...it seems to be very temp resistent..

Good info guys keep it coming aim hoping to get the 150gr NABLR to shot well from both the kimber and the Cooper if I have to I will drop to 140gr in the Kimber as it's only for sheep anyway. I'm gona try 4831sc as Nosler calls for this in the manual as the best load for the 150s.

The same could be said about you.

having a longer barrel does matter.. especially when shooting slower powders.. allows more time to burn.. why do u think people use 30-32 barrels? why do u think u get more velocities with these longer barrels??? I am not calling u dumb.. I simple just think your mistaken..

kasey

2950-2975fps
If I try to push closer to 3000fps, the primer pockets suffer.
I usually use nosler brass, but came across a heck of a deal on 112 rounds of 280 brass for $50.

That s exactly where I am at with H4831sc. I'm running 60gr right at 2975. If I go up a 1/2 gr the primers start to flatten and I get ejector marks.

I was able to shoot my Kimber Montana 280 AI with 150 GR ABLR and 60.5GR H4831SC , shot really well during barrel break in no pressure signs ,and I believe this load is going to work well , and I probably got an honest .75 or a little smaller group . I may have to tweak load some but if it will continually shoot .75 at 100yards I will probably leave at that , I think that is fair for a 6.5LB sheep rig . I will post more as I shoot , I cannot wait to try this load in my Cooper hopefully it will shoot really good with this load.

having a longer barrel does matter.. especially when shooting slower powders.. allows more time to burn.. why do u think people use 30-32 barrels? why do u think u get more velocities with these longer barrels??? I am not calling u dumb.. I simple just think your mistaken..

kasey

Acutualy thats not quite true. Having a longer barrel simply keeps the bullet exposed to the pressure for longer giving higher velocities but it makes little or no difference to the best burn rate. In terms of best velocity what you are looking for is the flattest curve at max pressureso the bullet gets max pressure for the longest time but as the pressure is rapidly dropping by the time the bullet is 5-6 inches down the barrel it will generally be the slowest powder that will fit enough in the case that gives best velocity regardless of barrel length. Check the reloading manuals, you will find the recommended burn rates in a given cal similar for both pistols and rifle. There are other considerations though such as muzzel blast which can be reduced with a faster powder. If that wasn't the case we could all chop our barrels and just use faster powders .
My favourite 280ai powders with the 160 gr class are Vit n165 and N560

Guys just an update I tried some 168 GR bergers Nosler brass with 58GR of 4831sc fed 210 primers seated out to 3.375 ,and wow , I now have a load for this gun 4 shots .71 at 100yards nice clover leaf pattern going on . this will be one hell of a hard hitting sheep gun will try out to 600 yards ,and see how it preforms now !

I'm getting ready to start working on a project for a friend. Have H1000 and IMR 7828 ssc available. Would like to use the 180 grain Berger VLD's if the rifle will like them. Anyone have any words of wisdom from actual experience with these bullets and either powder? Thanks in advance for your help.
John

Has anyone ran the numbers on the 168 vs 180 Berger to see which one has the advantage? I'm running a 9 twist 26 inch. What velocity are you guys getting with the 180's and a 26 inch barrel?

I may tick a few folks off my bringing back a zombie thread.... Oh well.
A few weeks back I purchased a Nosler M48 Patriot in 280 Ack Imp.
From the front of the bolt to engagement is four inches.... Kinda nice.
I've found a few loads that this rifle cranks with.... However , I've settled on RL 17.
57.5 of that, a 215, and a 140 CT nets me 3220 avg.... And about 3/4 Moa.

It also seems to like 171 match burners at about 2820 with a dose of I7977....

Has anyone ran the numbers on the 168 vs 180 Berger to see which one has the advantage? I'm running a 9 twist 26 inch. What velocity are you guys getting with the 180's and a 26 inch barrel?
doniphan & Hornhunter32,
Contact us at [email protected] and we can help you out with some load information. Also Hornhunter you may want to check out our "TWIST RATE CALCULATOR" to get an idea of which bullet you may want to use between the 168 and 180. If magazine length MAY be an issue look at the 7mm 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTER instead of the VLD. There is also a good article by Eric Stecker entitled "VLDs making them shoot" under the information tab on the main page to read too that will help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.