280 AI load data?

I trying decide between the 155 HH or the 143 HH. I will be interested in your results.
I'll load up a batch this week since I have a good start load on the Barnes and a known powder. Steve at Hammer said these are less (engraving?) friction due the the design so should expect an bit of an increase over the Barnes. We will see.

I've never shot any of the hammers at all. They seem like a Barnes so should be a good killing bullet.
Shep
I hunted a bison and had to use a copper. I ended up trying a hammer bullet after really bad experiences with other coppers. I was very impressed with the results and the bison went down hard. I used a 169 HH in a 28 Nosler. I am thinking more of my rifles will be using Hammer bullets.

I hunted a bison and had to use a copper. I ended up trying a hammer bullet after really bad experiences with other coppers. I was very impressed with the results and the bison went down hard. I used a 169 HH in a 28 Nosler. I am thinking more of my rifles will be using Hammer bullets.
That is quite a statement, knocking down a bison. I bet Steve at Hammer was thrilled to hear that. I am impressed. Giddy actually, lol...

All this 280ai talk makes me want to try my 1000 yard match barrel again. It's 29 inches 1-8 Krieger. It did good with 180eldm but not better than my creed. But all I have to do is spin it on. Brass dies and everything still ready to go for it.
Shep

All this 280ai talk makes me want to try my 1000 yard match barrel again. It's 29 inches 1-8 Krieger. It did good with 180eldm but not better than my creed. But all I have to do is spin it on. Brass dies and everything still ready to go for it.
Shep
Less accurate?

It was less accurate than my 6.5 creed. But with the rl23 maybe it will be better. I got 2nd place 2 gun overall at the world open with a 6slr using rl23. So I know rl23 is a consistent temp stable powder.

I had my first hammer kill this month with my .280AI and 131HH. Awesome describes it for sure. (Whitetail) Search the hammer kill thread for pics of others too...I am running rl-26 and did a load up for rl-23 first try was .5moa! I was going to switch to 23 then got some 26 which had dried up here...

I had my first hammer kill this month with my .280AI and 131HH. Awesome describes it for sure. (Whitetail) Search the hammer kill thread for pics of others too...I am running rl-26 and did a load up for rl-23 first try was .5moa! I was going to switch to 23 then got some 26 which had dried up here...
Here is a 200 yard group before I started having brass problems and never finished developing this load (jr. Deer hunt came up). Surprised me how easy it went. Zero actual load development; this was "step 1".

Attachments

• 20190913_100116.jpg
    20190913_100116.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 147
Gotta love it when it all just works right off the get go. Do you guys think the hammers kill any differently than the Barnes or are they comparable? Do they make the 4 petals that curl back?.
Shep

Gotta love it when it all just works right off the get go. Do you guys think the hammers kill any differently than the Barnes or are they comparable? Do they make the 4 petals that curl back?.
Shep
According to Steve at hammer and their website, the Hammer Hunter with the drilled hollow point expands into 4 petals and shear off both forward and radially and fragging. The remaining half looks like a wad cutter pistol bullet pushing through, or to, the off side.
Check out their website or call Steve. He can clarify further. It just doesn't turn into microscopic pieces like many cup/core bullets are known to do. They have a customer in Africa who reported back with 13 kills and all the terminal details if you're interested, Shep. Good read.

Here is a 200 yard group before I started having brass problems and never finished developing this load (jr. Deer hunt came up). Surprised me how easy it went. Zero actual load development; this was "step 1".
You'll love the Hammer bullets. I load them in 6 different cartridges and I'm waiting on my 280 AI barrel to show up so I can add that cartridge to the list. The bullets are absolutely devastating on game. I've killed a few white tails and hogs with them. Internal organs are destroyed. The front petals shear off and become shrapnel, while the remaining core tears through the carcass. I shot a nice Kodiak Island mountain goat last year with my 338 Lapua and the 213 gr HH. It went through both shoulders and left a 1.5-2" exit wound. Internals were liquified. The goat did a 180 when hit, then fell over before I racked another round. Everything has died where it stood or only makes it 5-10 yards before it drops.
I've got the 143 gr HH going a little over 3500 fps in my 7 STW. I plan on using the same bullet in my 280 AI. Steve gave me his load data for this bullet, which is 63.0 gr of RL23.

You'll love the Hammer bullets. I load them in 6 different cartridges and I'm waiting on my 280 AI barrel to show up so I can add that cartridge to the list. The bullets are absolutely devastating on game. I've killed a few white tails and hogs with them. Internal organs are destroyed. The front petals shear off and become shrapnel, while the remaining core tears through the carcass. I shot a nice Kodiak Island mountain goat last year with my 338 Lapua and the 213 gr HH. It went through both shoulders and left a 1.5-2" exit wound. Internals were liquified. The goat did a 180 when hit, then fell over before I racked another round. Everything has died where it stood or only makes it 5-10 yards before it drops.
I've got the 143 gr HH going a little over 3500 fps in my 7 STW. I plan on using the same bullet in my 280 AI. Steve gave me his load data for this bullet, which is 63.0 gr of RL23.
That is crazy fast! Since I found 8# jugs of RE23 at Midway I am all set now. They are on sale for Black Friday with free shipping, $10 hazmat. I got it for $206 out the door.
Will see how the new 143 hammers respond when I can get it up in pressure a bit more...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.