Berger Load Data 280 AI

6.5Express

I'm curious if anyone here is shooting 168 or 180 vlds in a 280 AI with H1000 and wouldn't mind sharing some of the data with me. I wouldn't mind hearing about any success with Retumbo either.

Thanks!

I'm curious if anyone here is shooting 168 or 180 vlds in a 280 AI with H1000 and wouldn't mind sharing some of the data with me. I wouldn't mind hearing about any success with Retumbo either.

Thanks!
6.5Express,
Please contact us at [email protected] for help on this. We will need to know if your 280 AI is the Nosler/Remington SAMMI version . Or the loder WILDCAT version.
Thanks !

This is what they sent me (for the SAAMI version). H1000 isn't on the list. I didn't see 2900 fps with H1000 in mine in a 25" barrel.
I'm using Retumbo and not seeing the velocity as some other guys with it. my Retumbo load is 61.5 gr., nosler brass, 210 M primers, 168 H-VLD's. velocity is 2875.

Another good resource is the Hodgdon reloading center:
Hodgdon Reloading | Home

Snap39.jpg

Thanks B-P-UU! I completely forgot about looking at Hogdon's site. How was the ES with H1000 and Retumbo in your rifle?

never checked ES on the H1000; I just loaded up one of each to clock velocity and find pressure.
the ES on my Retumbo load is around 25 fps.

If you have a SAMMI spec chamber (zero freebore), I'm not sure if you'll be able to get enough Retumbo in the case to find max pressure, but work up as normal. My chamber has .100" FB and I got a compressed load of Retumbo at 63.5 gr. and primers are still round.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.