280 AI Production Rifle Recommendation

Bominiscious

I want to try my hand at the 280 Ackley but don't want to spend $3000+ on a custom type rifle. Would love to hear some recommendations on a good production rifle. Seems that Kimber produces their excellent mountain line in 280 Ackley, as well as some Savage and Weatherby offerings. Can anyone recommend something that I could get into and be shooting in the next week or so?

I was going to say Browning X-Bolt, but I am Browning nerd.

So, my final answer is, whichever rifle allows you to seat bullets out long enough and not be constrained by the magazine.
IIRC, Browning throats their 280 AI X-Bolts long for that reason.

As to the original question, I'd go with an X-Bolt or a Weatherby of some flavor.

I'm having the same dilemma at the moment. I think the Weatherby or Browning might be the best bet for me at the moment. All my bolt guns have always been rem 700's or clones so I'm used to having lots of aftermarket options so these 2 just weird me out because of that for whatever dumb reason I have in my head. I'm leaning more towards the browning at this point because they have a 1:8 twist instead of the Weatherby 1:9. I want to be able to launch some heavier projectiles if needed.

I'm having the same dilemma at the moment. I think the Weatherby or Browning might be the best bet for me at the moment. All my bolt guns have always been rem 700's or clones so I'm used to having lots of aftermarket options so these 2 just weird me out because of that for whatever dumb reason I have in my head. I'm leaning more towards the browning at this point because they have a 1:8 twist instead of the Weatherby 1:9. I want to be able to launch some heavier projectiles if needed.
The Weatherby Backcountry is a great gun however it is $3k+. If you lean toward the x-bolt, suggest you go with the Pro or Mountain Pro as they have a super good McMillan carbon stock. With the Pro/Mtn Pro, you likely not need any aftermarket so the benefit of the 700 platform is moot. You can get a x-bolt pro in 280AI for $2k; not sure they offered 280AI in Mountain Pro which is a few hundred more. There is a great deal on x-bolt pro in 6.8 western about 900 off msrp. on GB

I confess I to am a Browning fan. 280AI is going to be a little tougher to find, but it is awesome cartridge. I have no experience with Kimber, but have heard good reports. Get an 8 twist barrel if you can find them. A 9 twist will work for most cup and core and bonded pills, but will limit you on copper mono's.

Can anyone speak to how the 9 twist does with 160's? I know it's not apples to apples but in my 7mag with a nine twist it handles 160s and 175s very well.

Seems from some of the other comments here that a 9 twist is going to be OK. Seems more of the factory rifles are 1:9

Can anyone speak to how the 9 twist does with 160's? I know it's not apples to apples but in my 7mag with a nine twist it handles 160s and 175s very well.

Seems from some of the other comments here that a 9 twist is going to be OK. Seems more of the factory rifles are 1:9
I've shot a dozen or so 168 ABLR in 9 twist Weatherby 280AI and they were fine for the little range work that I did at 200 yards. I would guess that the 160 AB would be fine too.

Recent Posts