280 Ackley Improved

xsn10s

So on the Shermans, mainly 290 and 300 Shermans, can you just load up 280 or 30-06 brass with flase shoulders and fire? Or do you need to blow out the "stock" brass with cream of wheat first and then load with false shoulders?

MudRunner2005

These same steps will go for any and all wildcat, AI, or Sherman case forming...

I don't use cream of wheat or fake any false shoulders on mine. I load about 5 grains under book starting loads, and seat the bullets to where there is slight pressure on the bolt handle when closing it. This ensures the cartridge base is properly seated against the bolt face, and the rest of the case will form properly to your chamber.

DocDoc

Remember the AI was designed to safely shoot the parent case. Some wildcats like the Sherman series are not. They require a false shoulder for best results.

xsn10s

I know this is reviving an old thread but a question for all you 280 AI loaders. How often do your trim brass? And how many have you loaded the 190gr/ +190gr bullets? Any loads and velocities?

L.Sherm

LRH Team Member
The 280AI is just like all the other AI's basically trim all to desired length after either fireforming or once fired in chamber and done. AI brass doesnt grow that's one of the +'s

lancetkenyon

The 280AI is just like all the other AI's basically trim all to desired length after either fireforming or once fired in chamber and done. AI brass doesnt grow that's one of the +'s
Well, brass grows SLOWER. But it does grow. I trim about every 4th-5th firing, unlike 20°ish shouldered cartridges which are about every 2nd firing.

L.Sherm

LRH Team Member
I've got some of my 20 cal AI cartridges that have atleast 8 firings on them and still arent close to trimming. I do trim back to .010 under max.

JW74

I know this is reviving an old thread but a question for all you 280 AI loaders. How often do your trim brass? And how many have you loaded the 190gr/ +190gr bullets? Any loads and velocities?
I had good results with the Berger 195 Elite Hunters out of my 27" barrel.

195 Berger EH
56.5gn RE 23
CCI BR-2
2.814" to ogive (~0.020" off)
2793 fps, SD 14.7
0.38" x 3 shots

Last edited:

xsn10s

I had good results with the Berber 195 Elite Hunters out of my 27" barrel.

195 Berger EH
56.5gn RE 23
CCI BR-2
2.814" to ogive (~0.020" off)
2793 fps, SD 14.7
0.38" x 3 shots
Do you know what your COAL is? I'm debating whether to keep a FN Belgium Mauser to use as a platform for my build.

Recent Posts

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce