280 Ackley Improved

So on the Shermans, mainly 290 and 300 Shermans, can you just load up 280 or 30-06 brass with flase shoulders and fire? Or do you need to blow out the "stock" brass with cream of wheat first and then load with false shoulders?

These same steps will go for any and all wildcat, AI, or Sherman case forming...

I don't use cream of wheat or fake any false shoulders on mine. I load about 5 grains under book starting loads, and seat the bullets to where there is slight pressure on the bolt handle when closing it. This ensures the cartridge base is properly seated against the bolt face, and the rest of the case will form properly to your chamber.

Remember the AI was designed to safely shoot the parent case. Some wildcats like the Sherman series are not. They require a false shoulder for best results.

I know this is reviving an old thread but a question for all you 280 AI loaders. How often do your trim brass? And how many have you loaded the 190gr/ +190gr bullets? Any loads and velocities?

The 280AI is just like all the other AI's basically trim all to desired length after either fireforming or once fired in chamber and done. AI brass doesnt grow that's one of the +'s

The 280AI is just like all the other AI's basically trim all to desired length after either fireforming or once fired in chamber and done. AI brass doesnt grow that's one of the +'s
Well, brass grows SLOWER. But it does grow. I trim about every 4th-5th firing, unlike 20°ish shouldered cartridges which are about every 2nd firing.

I've got some of my 20 cal AI cartridges that have atleast 8 firings on them and still arent close to trimming. I do trim back to .010 under max.

I know this is reviving an old thread but a question for all you 280 AI loaders. How often do your trim brass? And how many have you loaded the 190gr/ +190gr bullets? Any loads and velocities?

I had good results with the Berger 195 Elite Hunters out of my 27" barrel.

195 Berger EH
56.5gn RE 23
CCI BR-2
2.814" to ogive (~0.020" off)
2793 fps, SD 14.7
0.38" x 3 shots

Last edited:
I had good results with the Berber 195 Elite Hunters out of my 27" barrel.

195 Berger EH
56.5gn RE 23
CCI BR-2
2.814" to ogive (~0.020" off)
2793 fps, SD 14.7
0.38" x 3 shots
Do you know what your COAL is? I'm debating whether to keep a FN Belgium Mauser to use as a platform for my build.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.