.280 Ackley Improved

Have you considered the SAUM. Norma makes 300SAUM brass now that is cheaper than the WSM Norma brass, and it can be necked down to 7mm. Its a little milder than the 7WSM with less powder but similar velocity and would fit in a short action. I know you said you didn't want a magnum but i think this round has very little bite. Here's a link on alot of the 7's being used in competition. 7mm Cartridge Guide The 208AI or any one of these calibers would be an awesome choice...decisions decisions!

Thanks very much i will check in to it. Stating i didnt want a mag. was too the 7mm, stw, whby., etc.
mike

I have a 7mm gibbs and a 7mm jrs which are just blowing the case out a bit more than the 280 imp. Both will virtually duplicate the 7mm remington with less powder. I agree with the others that your choice for your purpose is as good as any. If you want all you can get out of the 280 case the 7mm jrs is the ultimate that I have found when all factors are considered.

The JRS does look awesome on paper. The only thing that makes this caliber a tough sell is that no barrel makers have the reamer so it is pretty expensive if you have to buy a blank and a reamer and then pay to have the work done.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.