280 Ackley Improved

Perhaps Nosler has fixed the problems with the primer pockets being too tight and shallow on this brass. Check out the consumer reviews for the Nosler custom 280 AI brass at Midway USA and you'll see several consistent complaints that the primer pockets, at least at that time, had serious issues. I do hope Nosler got that fixed, as I just ordered 100 pieces.

MSLR and Mudrunner, did you guys spec a reamer to get those long bullets to seat out in the neck? I have a 7rm with .188 freebore and it really helps where the base sits in the case. I was thinking most chambers in 280ai especially the sammi spec is too short>

thanks
Idahoorion

MSLRhunter....I am planning to use H4831sc for my 280AI too....how many grains are you loading to get that velocity?

I just received my Nosler 280AI brass and the consumer reviews posted on MidwayUSA were correct. The primer pockets are definitely cut too shallow.

Tried both Federal and CCI primers, and both brands had to be crushed down to be seated flush. So I simply used my pocket primer uniformer to deepen the pockets slightly and then they loaded fine. I've used Nosler custom brass for my 270, 300 RUM and 338, and the primer pockets were fine in those calibers. Not sure why they are so shallow in the 280 AI.

MSLR and Mudrunner, did you guys spec a reamer to get those long bullets to seat out in the neck? I have a 7rm with .188 freebore and it really helps where the base sits in the case. I was thinking most chambers in 280ai especially the sammi spec is too short>

thanks
Idahoorion
All of my chambers are standard cut chambers with standard throats.

The only long range rifle I have is in .280 AI built for me three years ago by eddybo (at one time a frequent contributor to this forum)
The load he developed for me at that time was 61.5 gr. of Vitivouri N560 and 162 gr. A-Max. I have harvested over ten animals with it (whitetail, muleys, elk and antelope) all "dead right there".
When I asked him recently if we should change my load since 162 grain A-Maxs aren't available now his reply was something like, "Why would you change, here's a box of 162 gr. A-Max." (Hornady says production scheduled for 2014)
I use the Nosler brass.
(OAL is long.....would need to measure some ......nearly touching lands.......eddybo says that is important)

I have a MCR built 280AI that is throated for the Berger 180 VLD and it is one tack driving mother!!!! Routinely print 100 yd groups in the .2 .3 range with the occasional .18ish group. 0.707 best at 200 so far. Pushing that slug with 59.0 grains of H1000.. Getting 2750 out of a 24" Rock. It has become my new go-to rifle!

My 280 AI finally arrived last week. I got the scope mounted and headed to the range for barrel break-in and load development.

I currently have two excellent loads hovering right at half MOA groups at 100 yards. The first is the standard 160 grain accubond over 60 gr of H4831sc, loaded 50 thou off the lands. With my 26" Bartlein barrel, they are chronographing at 3025 fps with no bolt stick or pressure signs.

The other promising load is the 168 gr LRAB over 59 gr of H4831sc, and 30 thou off the lands, which clocks in at 2950 fps. I'm going to try a few batches of test loads with the LRABs set back a little further off the lands...as soon as my bruised shoulder heals up. Because its a pack rifle primarily for off hand shooting in the timber, its built fairly light and not wearing a muzzle brake. It doesn't recoil badly at all, unless you're so excited to shoot it that you keep going back to the range and end up sending 50 rounds into the target within a 24 hour period. Then your shoulder gets bruised and sore, as I have learned.

My bruised shoulder healed up and I was able to get out for some long range validation tests....It always amazes me how shooting off a bench I feel every bit of the recoil, but shooting prone I don't recall feeling any at all...in any event, this rifle did not disappoint me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shooting! The .280 AI is alot more cartridge than most folks give it credit for.

I love my .25-06 AI, and I'm hoping my .30-06 AI will shoot just as good with the 168 Berger VLD's. Next build will most definitely be my .280 AI, as I have been putting it off for entirely too long now. LOL

Are you guys using regular large rifle primers in your loads or is anyone using magnum primers? I've heard some like the magnums better.

I use Federal 210's if it is a non-magnum rifle caliber. And I use 215's if it is a magnum caliber. I don't mix and match...I'm not that brave. Plus, I've had great results with keeping things to their respective places, so I've had no need to experiment with magnum primers in standard calibers and vice-versa.

Thanks, it may be my next barrel on my savage then, sounds like an awesome cartridge, a step up from the 6.5x55 which I like too.

Thanks Again for chiming in.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.