28 Nosler Loads.

Fotis

I do have one load for my 26" Proof barreled rifle with H1000 and the 180 ELDM at 3050 fps . Shoots about .5" on demand. That said looking for some more loads. Too many possibilities and I do not want to try them all due to barrel wear. So what has worked for you?

86.0 of RL33 gave 3200 fps with that same bullet in mine, accurate and a real hammer at long range. BUT, the eld-m bullet didn't like that velocity, had several come apart mid air. Switched over to Berger 180 hybrids, all good now.

78 grs Retumbo, CCI250, 180 ELDM in Hornady brass gave 3000 FPS and 1/2 MOA at 300 Yds in Fierce CT. Friend said 'plenty good for him' (his rifle) and development ceased!

I am not doubting you but find that very hard to believe. A 180 7mm ELDM coming apart in mid air at 3200 fps?
Yep. I'm not the only, lots of other guys have had them come apart. In fact, there is thread on the front page right now about it, guy thought it was key holing, but its actually jacket separation. His was the 6.5 147, but same problem.

That's depressing. I used the above load for an antelope Buck at 701 yards and an antelope doe at 248 yards both work excellent I just wanted a little more speed

I have loaded a LOT of 28 Noslers.
Mostly 195 Berger EOLs. Most of those were over RL33, but some over N570 and IMR8133. Velocities ranged from 3030 to 3160fps depending on rifle and load.

A few others (1:9") run the 184 Hyb over RL33 or IMR8133, from 3080 to 3200fps.

That's depressing. I used the above load for an antelope Buck at 701 yards and an antelope doe at 248 yards both work excellent I just wanted a little more speed
In my case, it was always shot 3 in a group. I guess the combination of speed, twist, and a warm barrel was just too much. I'm sure they could work fine in some other applications. I kept the 400 or so I have left, maybe use them in a SAUM or 7 mag.

I am not doubting you but find that very hard to believe. A 180 7mm ELDM coming apart in mid air at 3200 fps?
I've heard of it happening with the 180 eld but it hasn't happened in my 8.7 twist bartlein @3180fps, it hasn't happened @ 2840fps in my 8.4 twist proof, it hasn't happened in my 9.25 twist sendero Remington factory barrel. I think it's a tell tale sign of the barrel if they are blowing up eldms. However, people usually swap to a thicker jacketed bullet to remedy the problem, and I don't blame them. I would do the same thing. But there's no reason for those of use who aren't blowing up bullets to swap.

Friend built a 36" 7 STW Improved for his Uncle as a bench gun. Had to use a 7 twist to get that long of a Lilja barrel. Thing blew up both Sierra MK and Berger's in 193 and 197 weights. Around 3200 FPS.

Anyway they about gave up and thought a mono was the only chance... tried 175 gr ELD-X on a whim and it's shooting them 3350 or so and they re hanging together! Took it to a mile a few weeks back and it's happy!

Jacket thickness is a big deal; especially with long barrels and high velocity. We were reading everything we could find on the subject and apparently the heat of the twist/velocity on the bullets lead core is a major factor in bullet failure. So jacket thickness does make a difference!

Friend built a 36" 7 STW Improved for his Uncle as a bench gun. Had to use a 7 twist to get that long of a Lilja barrel. Thing blew up both Sierra MK and Berger's in 193 and 197 weights. Around 3200 FPS.

Anyway they about gave up and thought a mono was the only chance... tried 175 gr ELD-X on a whim and it's shooting them 3350 or so and they re hanging together! Took it to a mile a few weeks back and it's happy!

Jacket thickness is a big deal; especially with long barrels and high velocity. We were reading everything we could find on the subject and apparently the heat of the twist/velocity on the bullets lead core is a major factor in bullet failure. So jacket thickness does make a difference!
That bad boy has got to be a Lazer like none other.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.