28 Nosler problems

fmuguira

helping friend break in his new Fierce CT Edge in 28 Nosler. He brought me Hornady cases, Retumbo powder and 180 ELDM s.

Anyway loaded 77 grs for first round shot, bolt was stuck and finally got open but a pop of hand on final bolt lift. Backed charge down to 75 grs and seated bullet back another .100. Cleaned rifle ( barrel showed minimal copper) and fired another round; Ditto, same problem. So cleaned again and loaded 2 rounds and ran over chronograph... 2850 and two more stuck, hard to extract cases. A bullet does not want to fit in fired case, inside diameter around .284. Anyone else ran into this problem?

Thinking brass a little on thick side in neck and chamber possibly on tight side. Case expansion .002 on shoulder and nothing on web, same as unfired.

Looking for suggestions. Thinking I might neck turn a couple new cases and see if that solves problem. Sucks that he bought 200 rounds of Hornady brass; wondering if Nosler or Morma brands wouldn't of experienced this problem.

BTW, brass weighs 258-260
Grs and is roughly .014 thick on the neck. If anyone has a different brand of brass would love to hear your neck thickness.
Thx !

Thx... sounds in line with Hornady.

Ran a couple cases through Redding Body Die and can get to chamber but untouched fired case doesn't want to close bolt without much resistance.

A number of years back I had some 338 Lapua Hornady brass that was soft and a midrange load would require a cleaning rod to knock case out of chamber. Bought Lapua brass and problem cured.

Anyone had similar Hornady 28 Nosler brass problems? In 50 years of loading this is only second time I ve had this issue with a starting load. Frustrating.

Jasonco, I just turned downed the brass, .005 reduction of outside measurement, and shot 3. Bolt lift somewhat improved but still have extractor stiffness at top of bolt lift.

Think I m gonna call Hornady tomorrow and see what they say; or don't....

Measure a fired case and a loaded round neck dia. and that should get you close on your neck clearance.
Are you jamming the bullets into the lands?

I think a 28 Nosler saami reamer has a .322 neck if your brass is .014 thick your loaded round should be around .314.
I think you got something else going on unless fierce is using alot tight neck dia. On there reamer, might be worth a call to Fierce.

LSherm, loaded brass before turning was .316-.317... after firing it expand to .319-.320. Inside diameter was .283 or so. Couldn't put Bullet it!

Thus, I decided to turn. Turned brass and now loaded round .314... after firing .318 ish and inside diameter .285. Stick getting extractor stiffness so I did three more cases and got them down to .311-.312 loaded. Will try those but I concur, maybe something else going on. Wish I could get one piece of ADG or Nosler/Norma brass to try.

I m .125+ off the lands at 3.375 vs touching at 3.515.

I m beginning to think either soft brass or a chamber job problem. Ran into soft Hornady brass on a 338 Lapua (Savage FCP) about 8 years ago. It stuck in chamber and took a cleaning rod to knock it out. Extractor actually took a chunk of brass off rim! Bought 100 Lapua and problem was solved. If that is issue I m disappointed that Hornady still has that problem.

Try annealing a piece of brass you could be getting alot of spring back. If its .316 your brass has to be .016 thick. I would find out what reamer Fierce is using.
.316-284= .032

I was wondering about annealing one but wouldn't 'softer brass' cause the case to stick worse??

You should be just annealing the neck, could be why a bullet wont go in a fired case because of spring back.
Trim a case all the way to a .312 loaded round see what happens.
No matter what I would ask Fierce what there neck dia. is on there reamer

helping friend break in his new Fierce CT Edge in 28 Nosler. He brought me Hornady cases, Retumbo powder and 180 ELDM s.

Anyway loaded 77 grs for first round shot, bolt was stuck and finally got open but a pop of hand on final bolt lift. Backed charge down to 75 grs and seated bullet back another .100. Cleaned rifle ( barrel showed minimal copper) and fired another round; Ditto, same problem. So cleaned again and loaded 2 rounds and ran over chronograph... 2850 and two more stuck, hard to extract cases. A bullet does not want to fit in fired case, inside diameter around .284. Anyone else ran into this problem?

Thinking brass a little on thick side in neck and chamber possibly on tight side. Case expansion .002 on shoulder and nothing on web, same as unfired.

Looking for suggestions. Thinking I might neck turn a couple new cases and see if that solves problem. Sucks that he bought 200 rounds of Hornady brass; wondering if Nosler or Morma brands wouldn't of experienced this problem.

BTW, brass weighs 258-260
Grs and is roughly .014 thick on the neck. If anyone has a different brand of brass would love to hear your neck thickness.
Thx !

I have a Fierce fury in 28 Nosler the older model with 1-9" twist. I've shot Hornady, Bertram, ADG and Nosler brass with no issues. I've got sticky bolts, cratering primers and ejector marks while testing but I was pushing my luck looking for extra FPS. I settled on Nosler brass because it was the most available and easy to get. I can send you several Nosler brass to try, maybe you can just catch the shipping? Let me know I can send them out tomorrow I've got other boxes to send. Good luck and aloha!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.