277 fury

Where are you getting the "did not win the mil contract" from? Everything the military has said is that the decision between the three finalists, which includes SIG, will be made by mid-2022. That include MG Potts statement to the Army Times last month.the company " lone star weapons " was granted a novation won the squad weapon contract
On June 30, 2021The company " lone star weapons" was granted a novation
They are partners with true velocity that make the 6.8 tcvm composite cased round

From my understanding, this novation basically means that a contract is transferred or substituted and they will make the new 6.8 squad rifle systems

Last edited:
On June 30, 2021The company " lone star weapons" was granted a novation
They are partners with true velocity that make the 6.8 tcvm composite cased round

From my understanding, this novation basically means that a contract is transferred or substituted and they will make the new 6.8 squad rifle systems

That novation was the official transfer of the development contract from True Velocity's original partner (General Dynamics) to their new "partner" Lone Star Future Weapons. (I put partner in quotes because Lone Star Future Weapons is owned by the same people who own True Velocity.)

The three finalists are still competing and final down selection is still scheduled for next year.

That novation was the official transfer of the development contract from True Velocity's original partner (General Dynamics) to their new "partner" Lone Star Future Weapons. (I put partner in quotes because Lone Star Future Weapons is owned by the same people who own True Velocity.)

The three finalists are still competing and final down selection is still scheduled for next year.
I thought the novated contract was for the ngsw , which is the new 6.8 that is being developed...right? Or is my info wrong?

I wonder about the composite cases.If there is a flaw the military will find it and fast too.
Time will tell and I will keep watching as I am NEVER the first to try a new thing

Yes and no. Read this:

So if I'm reading it correctly , it just means that general dynamics is no longer going to be doing the manufacturing/testing ( just over seeing) their "prototype" of the 3 systems being tested? Wording is kind of convoluted in places.

Wish I knew what W15QKN1991024 was

Sounds like it kicks Beretta out as a partner to GD

Beretta is now out of the process entirely as they were only there for production IF the GD/True Velocity entry won. True Velocity appears to now want to do production themselves if they win since they own Lone Star Future Weapons. General Dynamics is now advisory/support. They were the prototype designers so either they believe the design is mature enough or they are just done with it. (Maybe they know something?)

W15QKN1991024 is just the contract awarding number for the NGWS weapons and ammunition prototyping contract that was originally awarded to GD/True Velocity. The GD/Beretta part was novated to Lone Star Future Weapons. There were originally three of these contracts. One to GD/True Velocity, one to SIG, and one to Textron/Winchester/HK (polymer cased, telescoped ammo entry). Each contract was for 53 "rifles", 43 "automatic rifles" (light machine guns), and about 850,000 rounds of the ammo specific to those weapons.

Friends who know military procurement actually think this novation may be a bad sign for the True Velocity offering because GD and Beretta being out marks True Velocity/Lone Star Future Weapons as "untried" in Army procurement's eyes. Big Army does NOT like buying weapons systems from vendors/manufacturers who have never held a large military weapons contract. SIG has the M17/M18 contract and several smaller ones. Textron/AAI, Winchester, and HK are all well proven military suppliers.

I would probably bet that Textron wins based solely on the parties involved and the fact that Big Army has been experimenting (in conjunction with AAI/Textron) with the use of CT ammo for over a decade. The Army doesn't want an incremental change. IF they are going to replace tens of thousands of weapons, they want something truly revolutionary. This is why the earlier efforts to replace the M16/M4 failed.

This, however, assumes the Textron entry works under all conditions. That was an issue with some of the early CT ammo but that has supposedly been resolved.

Last edited:
At the very least they will receive a grant for "approved for further development". As the Plastic case and all the super high tech chamber promises technology could be implemented to all future platforms.

Anyone else notice that the low pressure version is almost identical to the 7-08? I wonder why they didn't just make it the 280 Fury.

Recent Posts