277 fury

Wow, I need to ask some really stupid questions!!! Is this new cartridge going to be chambered in a Long Barreled Bolt Action Pistol, like Remington and Weatherby both had, or a short Carbine?? Will this be used for deer??? Just trying to learn. Lenny

Although the idea of high pressure case designs have been bounced around for decades I think that the time has come for the 277 Fury and other like designs to gain some marketing traction. New advancements in technology for powder and stronger materials have now finally caught up. Can't see any reason why this will fail if the ammo prices are kept reasonable.

BUT....
...There is also a BIG problem... Liability. Using these in a current similar case configuration/cal (like a 260 Imp). These might be very cool but if something should go wrong on an older receiver??? Sig was very wise to go with the .277 cal as no other standard short action cartridge is available in that size. The same goes for the .256 cal so maybe that would be the next go to for another future Sig design offering. ;)

Hmmm ...Can you just imagine a .256 cal design using a 131gr Blackjack? Screw on a 24-26" barrel and suppressor for PRS or build one up as the ultimate antelope rifle? Wow!!:eek:

IMO - I think what would be a good idea for the firearms industry to do in order to embrace these new HP cartridge designs is to do what the pistol manufactures started doing over 30 years ago and come up with a standardized new +P rifle rating for their future actions to get around any liability issues.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
How about running it at normal pressure and getting brass life double what we get now. With proper annealing and primer pockets that won't get loose and who knows how many shots you could get on one brass.
Shep

How about running it at normal pressure and getting brass life double what we get now. With proper annealing and primer pockets that won't get loose and who knows how many shots you could get on one brass.
Shep

Double the brass life and triple the cost...

We don't know how much they cost yet? What kind of primer is not going to blank out at those pressure levels.
Shep

True, but a small primer in that steel base should be able to handle pressures around 70K psi without too many issues. Now push it at 80Kpsi ??

I'm forever reading people going on and on about 6.5PRC, 6.5/300SAUM, 6.5-285, 264 mags. They are all chasing 2900-3000 fps. And I just giggle.

I'm running 43 grains H4350 behind a 140 Berger Match Hybrid @ 2952fps. 7fps spread out of 29-1/2" Bartlein 5r Heavy Palm in a Panda. (Lab Radar) Zero pressure. Absolutely 100% certain I could get 3000 but gun regularly shoots 1"@600 now. I shoot same load in RPR with same barrel at 28" @ 2924 fps with similar accuracy.
I am simply at a loss to understand the big mystery bout fps and 6.5mms
Apples to Oranges? 29.5" Bartlein barrel is a lot more barrel than a 16" factory barrel.......

Your right.

I'm Possibly Mistaken, but Im thinking most of the people here chasing 6.5 velocity are not shooting mountain rifles. A fair number of the discussions appear to center on Long Range shooting. I'm a 6.5 1000 yard fan but not a 6.5 1000 yard hunting anything fan AT ALL! The comment was solely in response to ppl who are chasing FPS. As It seems reasonable most are likely shooting custom guns, I have found one solution to 6.5 fps can be found in barrel length and powder. Now I will admit the 6.5 SAUM -6.5PRC can get there with a shorter barrel, they will also go faster in a longer tube using a slower powder at lower pressures. After playing with 6.5 barrel length and a few powders, in my experience the magic number for fps and balancing "bullet in barrel time" for the 260 was 28-29" before I found diminishing returns. I originally planned on loading h1000 in a 32" tube but never got there. Set up and form became too sensitive w/o extending fore ends or the front rest point forward.

Just saying if someone is thinking of building a new custom gun to get 2900-3000 out of their 6.5, perhaps they might just try a longer tube before spending $$$$ on a new build, all the dies and Development time/effort only to find they have a 3200fps .264 that shoots 1 moa, not .1 moa.
Other than the weird tactical stock, this ticks most of the boxes I want. Light weight hunting rifle, flat shooting, short barrel, threaded for supressor. This comes from the factory without having to rebarrel/gunsmith something, no hand loading needed. ]

Even has some boxes i didn't know of like one piece action/receiver that should make grouping tighter?

One downside is the lack of ammunition options, but if Sig wins the military contract, i'm sure more will make ammunition in this.

3000 seem to be this anomaly that folks want. I had a customer just furious because he could get his gun to be accurate at over 3000fps. Of course two extractors later (it was a Savage) I finally convinced him the speed doesn't kill accuracy does. So now he has a great accuracy and can hit something out at distance. I get it that speed can help increase your range to some degree, but me personally I will take a bigger bullet at a slower speed.

True, but a small primer in that steel base should be able to handle pressures around 70K psi without too many issues. Now push it at 80Kpsi ??
Sig is making primers. Whether they have thicker cups I dont know

Attachments

• 25191.jpeg
    25191.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 66
Uhhhh... guess she's not planning on studying physics either.

If you chuck a .277 projectile at 270WSM velocities, you're going to get 270WSM recoil that goes along with it. No free lunches here. 70-80k PSI out of a short barrel is gonna have some pretty nasty bark to it as well.
I ended up with a 6.5 PRC that is sending 140 gr berger hunting bullets over 3,000 fps that both my 9 year old and 11 year old love to shoot. The key was a Terminator T2 muzzle break. BTW I do have a degree in physics; thus the muzzle break.