277 fury

Now that more info is available we know: Base of Case could last five times more reloadings than normal brass. 80k psi is conservative to moderate as saami seems more concerned with Rifle failure at 80 k, modern steel design is not screwed together and indeed offers generous volume increase not decrease, 3000 was indeed a 16" barrel as those were the requirements by the Army. Now we or I have to embrace this new tech. For example this case could bump Creedmoor or 260 performance 200 fps. Since we aren't concerned with piercing body armor this could lead to endless possibilities for improved accuracy in civilian shooting circles. So yes, I Vote a definitely yes for 277 FURY! // As far inflated cost estimates the 9mm luger two piece case is more akin to one third the cost of comparative all brass cases. So I would expect to see considerable cost savings down the line on this case as well.

Last edited:
As a 270 Win and 270 Weatherby Mag shooter , I find all this extremely interesting. I will attempts to learn how the steel and the brass are fused together to remain One stable shell. That is an engineering marvel in my opinion. Many in this thread are mentioning the use of a 16 inch barrel. Why is that?? If this new round is to be used in a Light weight Hunting Rifle, Why not a 22 inch; or a 24 inch Barrel??? Thanks for the Great info guys !!!! Really Great stuff!!

Thank You for that Craig !!! I have a 24 inch Fluted / SS Krieger barrel on my Weatherby Ultra light chambered in 270 Win. It came that way, and weighs 5 3/4 pounds. I hope this new hot 270 finds it way into sporting rifles.

I am interested in the 277 Fury. If anyone has any newer info I would appreciate it.
Like commercial version of the weapon system. And, how well it performs in real world professional settings.
Thanks,
Lee

I am interested in the 277 Fury. If anyone has any newer info I would appreciate it.
Like commercial version of the weapon system. And, how well it performs in real world professional settings.
Thanks,
Lee
As far as I know, sig still hasnt brought out commercially available rifles, ammo or the steel/brass casings to reload for the furry

Last edited:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/277-sig-fury-demystified/ Here is some info I found on the 277 Furry/6.8x51. ( WARNING!! 6.5 CM user will be offended )
That's from 2 years ago.
It was my understanding that sig said no matter what happened with the mil contract, they would still bring this cartridge to the consumer market because of all the $ they had invested.

Since they did not win the mil contract we haven't heard hide nor hair of the 277 fury as far as I know of.

In addition, the crossfire rifle ( the initial offering that the 277 fury was supposed to be released in) went through some sort of safety recall iirc too.

Given Sig's new product problems lately with the 320/365 (and I have both) I'm a little skeptical. We'll see though. While I was writing this, @cohunt's post popped up, and yep, there were issues.

And I don't know where these folks are hunting, but don't all the open-frame areas catch on brush? Seems like a nightmare in the woods. Never used a platform like that, though. Maybe it's not a problem.

That's from 2 years ago.
It was my understanding that sig said no matter what happened with the mil contract, they would still bring this cartridge to the consumer market because of all the $ they had invested.

Since they did not win the mil contract we haven't heard hide nor hair of the 277 fury as far as I know of.

In addition, the crossfire rifle ( the initial offering that the 277 fury was supposed to be released in) went through some sort of safety recall iirc too.
Yes I know it's from 2 years ago. That date is on the headline. There is just not much info on the 277 Fury. Their seams to be more speculations than facts about this cartridge.

Strait from sig in 2020. To me ( IMO) this appears to be a belted 308 Win necked down to a 6.8 caliber. I mean why not. There is already 243, 260, 7-08 all use the 308 case, why not through in a 6.8 cal. I all ways wounded what could be achieved if they threw on a belted case on the 308 platforms like the 243 Win, 260 Rem, 7-08, and 308 Win. Time will tell.

Where are you getting the "did not win the mil contract" from? Everything the military has said is that the decision between the three finalists, which includes SIG, will be made by mid-2022. That include MG Potts statement to the Army Times last month.