.277 caliber input

A properly throated and magazined, fast twist 270W or AI has performance that often exceeds expectations and with plentiful and relatively cheap brass, but if one wishes, the 6.8W already has some of those attributes. Of course, there are other .277" cartridges that are very capable with fast twists.

As a young man, I remember an NRA rep who came by the range with his factory 270W for sighting in before hunting season. After checking his POI and handload, he began shooting the 1,000yd gong. At that time, I had never tried a 270W at those ranges, but that display changed me in so many ways.

Last edited:
Not that I go by what everyone else likes, BUT I read a lot of Craig Boddington's hunts and what rifles, calibers, cartridges he uses for all sorts of game. He said that he liked the .270 the BEST overall and favorite cartridge.
Also know a lot of Deer hunters in PA that switched from the (Everyone has to own a 30-06 for deer) the 30-06 to the .270 Win.
At the time we were having a hard time with Browning getting Jill's Model 70 in 25WSSM back. Browning bought out Winchester.
I went and bought Jill a .270 WSM Kimber Montana 8400 SS 24" and Grey Kevlar Stock. It was a reasonably "Lite" rifle for carrying all day and loaded with 130 AB, shooting < 1/2" Moa couldn't go wrong. I said I got it for Jill but in the back of my mind I also wanted for Yote hunting.

Custom built Sendero style REM 700, 270 Win, 24" Lilja #4-#5 contour can't remember which, 140 Berger and enough H4831SC to run 2960mv. Just messing around giving 1000 yards try.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpeg
    IMG_0128.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 37
The standard .270 Win in fast twist (1:8, 1:7) with plenty of magazine COAL >3.5" will perform at a whole different level than most expect. I built one and I knew it would be better but seriously not to the level achieved.

For example:
170EOL > 3,000 easily
156HH topped out at 3300

I ran quite a few ladders of different bullets that all performed better than expected due to increased CBTO and COAL.

The magical pixie dust RL26 is perfect marriage for maximum velocity. Just know when to say when on temp management.
I have a Benchmark 23" with 1:7.5 twist on my old 700 Rem 270 Win and was just able to get some of the 170 EOLs. My earlier chronographed velocity with the 170 Nosler Ballistic Tip was unimpressive. Since I can seat the bullets out to 3.65 COAL I assumed that I should likely be using more powder, but haven't found load data for that bullet and RL-26. Any suggestions on a reasonable starting load?

I have a Benchmark 23" with 1:7.5 twist on my old 700 Rem 270 Win and was just able to get some of the 170 EOLs. My earlier chronographed velocity with the 170 Nosler Ballistic Tip was unimpressive. Since I can seat the bullets out to 3.65 COAL I assumed that I should likely be using more powder, but haven't found load data for that bullet and RL-26. Any suggestions on a reasonable starting load?
Check Berger, I believe they have load data with the bullet and RL26. I think I have their data, will check.

Thanks for the info I've thought about doing a 270 ackley as well I've really been researching/ wanting another 270 wsm but brass seems hard to find for it I looked again last night and couldn't find any instock

I've used Sig brass and not bad and quality seems to be decent relative to bag measurements. It will get you by until finding what you want.

Edit: missed you wanted .270WSM brass!

Check Berger, I believe they have load data with the bullet and RL26. I think I have their data, will check.
Thanks for your help. Berger didn't have data on-line for anything larger than 150gr, so I sent then a request for 170gr loading data. The 150VLDs shoot really well, but was hoping to take advantage of the 170's. Tried Magnum and Magpro. Magnum was accurate, but under 2600fps; hoping for better.

Thanks for your help. Berger didn't have data on-line for anything larger than 150gr, so I sent then a request for 170gr loading data. The 150VLDs shoot really well, but was hoping to take advantage of the 170's. Tried Magnum and Magpro. Magnum was accurate, but under 2600fps; hoping for better.
This may not be helpful in the slightest as an apples to oranges comparison but a while back (okay ten years ago now) I experimented with the 180 woodleigh weldcore in 270 win. Again, 10 grains heavier, jacket waaaaaay thicker, and bearing surface multiple times longer probably. But still a data point. Best velocity came with rl25. 2600 fps in a 22 inch. I believe it was 57 grains in a Winchester case

This may not be helpful in the slightest as an apples to oranges comparison but a while back (okay ten years ago now) I experimented with the 180 woodleigh weldcore in 270 win. Again, 10 grains heavier, jacket waaaaaay thicker, and bearing surface multiple times longer probably. But still a data point. Best velocity came with rl25. 2600 fps in a 22 inch. I believe it was 57 grains in a Winchester case
Thanks. I appreciate the info.