.277 caliber input

I have a .270 Remington Model 721, bolt gun. My thought is that its a great rifle but need a faster twist barrel to take advantage of the newer bullets. Mine is 1:10 twist, if you do it get a 1:8 or 1:7 1/2.
Mike
I have that same model Remington 721 in .270 Winchester. I will never part with that rifle. @ Muddyboots .270 Thor sounds like an interesting build.

Like Bean, I cant imagine not owning a 270.

I have 3, 2 are ancient with a lifetime of sentimental value. The other is a Nosler M48 that is as good of a semi-custom/semi-production rifle as I have ever owned. Right now it is setup for the 129 LRX and 124 Hammer Hunter and it is a lazer.

The 1-10 twist is renowned for shooting the 130 class bullets. There is certainly many good reasons why. Not the least of which is that they simply are death on deer. High shoulder on a WT and they simply fall over and most never even kick.

I will never be without a .270. My first real gun was a rem 700 270 win. Killed truck loads of deer and elk with that gun. My sons kid will kill critters with it…
I got into longer range shooting and got a 300 rum. Killed plenty of critters with it as well. ( none were any more dead than with my 270)
Built my first custom gun with real glass. Did plenty of research and decided on a Long action fast twist 270 WSM. It is a legit hammer at as far as I can responsibly shoot. I run 170 Bergers at over 3k.
The above post running 150 badlands at over 3. 3 k is serious medicine as well and I am genuinely intrigued.
The WSM in a long action stomps a regular, western, and a weatherby.
Well then this dude Rich Sherman said hold my beer and watch this. (I have a 6.5 and 30 SM) both are pretty dang good. I have lots of well over 500 yard kills on deer and elk with the 6.5.; 30 SM. Not yet tested on game. Point is, a 270 Sherman of any of the flavors, SS or mega, regular, SM would prolly do it real good as well.
I would not hesitate on a quick twist 270. They are awesome.
Here is a 2 shot group I made at 550 yards with my 270 WSM with 170 Bergers.
IMG_1488.jpeg

For up to 600 yards, up to elk, I would look just a little above a standard .270 win. A .270 WSM, with an 8 twist, on a medium or long action, throated long for 140 badlands or 170 Bergers would be perfect, and give plenty of punch for that bull elk you will see at 630 yards ha ha.

A 270 Sherman would also be good if you don't mind some case work, and uses .270 brass, but gets a little more out of the case. 140 badlands at 3225 fps from a 25" barrel, or 170 Berger at 2975 fps with loads below max to be precise.

If you want more spice, the easy button would be an 8 twist 27 nosler, but it sounds like your 30 cals have that area of performance covered.

Good luck.

The standard .270 Win in fast twist (1:8, 1:7) with plenty of magazine COAL >3.5" will perform at a whole different level than most expect. I built one and I knew it would be better but seriously not to the level achieved.

For example:
170EOL > 3,000 easily
156HH topped out at 3300

I ran quite a few ladders of different bullets that all performed better than expected due to increased CBTO and COAL.

The magical pixie dust RL26 is perfect marriage for maximum velocity. Just know when to say when on temp management.

I will never be without a .270. My first real gun was a rem 700 270 win. Killed truck loads of deer and elk with that gun. My sons kid will kill critters with it…
I got into longer range shooting and got a 300 rum. Killed plenty of critters with it as well. ( none were any more dead than with my 270)
Built my first custom gun with real glass. Did plenty of research and decided on a Long action fast twist 270 WSM. It is a legit hammer at as far as I can responsibly shoot. I run 170 Bergers at over 3k.
The above post running 150 badlands at over 3. 3 k is serious medicine as well and I am genuinely intrigued.
The WSM in a long action stomps a regular, western, and a weatherby.
Well then this dude Rich Sherman said hold my beer and watch this. (I have a 6.5 and 30 SM) both are pretty dang good. I have lots of well over 500 yard kills on deer and elk with the 6.5.; 30 SM. Not yet tested on game. Point is, a 270 Sherman of any of the flavors, SS or mega, regular, SM would prolly do it real good as well.
I would not hesitate on a quick twist 270. They are awesome.
Here is a 2 shot group I made at 550 yards with my 270 WSM with 170 Bergers. View attachment 453921
Nice group! All within 0.5. MOK. Min of Kill!😂😂😂

Yes I know lol couldn't figure out for sure how to ask the questions I have with out rambling
You did okay, it's a bit long but we can figure this out and give you some thoughts in the right direction. When you write anything ".270" there's some dedicated diehards of the .277 caliber on here. So…this thread may end up being as long as your opening question. From your opening dissertation 😆 you reload, so with that you have a number of options. If you want to stay with a factory SAMMI cartridge I would recommend a .270WSM, if you want to hurl heavy bullets with that .270 WSM then build it with a 1:8 twist. However...if you are using this rifle for deer hunting hurling heavy bullets might not be the answer, especially if you have a lot of bullets already in stock. I definitely would stay away from the "new" designer hot rod 27s out there. They are barrel burners and they are expensive to shoot "if" you can find the brass. A box of 27 Nosler brass right now is $118 for 25 pieces, .270 Weatherby mag brass is running less, they're only $65 for 20 pieces: and...I didn't look hard but where I did look they were out of stock. What I have found for the "new" designer dinosaur killers is that they get splashed across the cover of every gun magazine available, and....then after a year or two the brass and the availability of the cartridge in a particular rifle is not longer available.

If you want something that is different that does have some horsepower in the .277 caliber you might want to take a very close look at the .270 Ackley Improved. I built one for myself and then I built one for my son a short time later. I still do not understand the reasoning behind why someone has not looked to get this cartridge SAAMI approved and factory supported. P.O. Ackley did not have a whole lot of good things to say about improving the .270 Winchester, however that was a 100 years ago when the powders we have today were not available. I am running a 150gr Nosler ABLR out of a Lilja 26 inch barrel getting 3100fps. With that said with a 200 yard zero the bullet is 1.25 inches high at 100 yards and 5.7 (6 inches) low at 300 yards. At 300 yards that bullet is still carrying 2300 ft-lbs of energy. I can get 3300fps out of the cartridge, however my rifle likes the 3100fps load so that is what I'm shooting. For me personally this is all of the whitetail cartridge that I need. I'd say as an elk cartridge as well, but I have never been on an elk hunt and after 76 orbits around the sun the probability of that happening is not too good. I keep saying that I am going to play with the 130 grain bullets, I have some 130gr and some 140gr Accubonds, just haven't gotten around to them as of yet. It has been a while since I played with the .270 AI, I've posted a photo of a 300 yard target that was shot. The rifle is a Ruger 77, the action has been blueprinted/squared, glass and pillar bedded, with a 26 inch, 1:10 Lilja barrel that is contoured to the factory spec barrel. The barrel is a hunting barrel so two shots do very well, the third shot wants to open up the groups a bit more. With all that I have written here, conduct an honest and true comparison with these ballistics to the "new" designer cartridges out there. I am using less powder (powder=weight=recoil), components are readily available and the cartridge is easy to load for.

Attachments

• .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 65
  • .270AI2.JPG
    .270AI2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I have a 270WIN, 270Sherman,2- 270WSM's, and a 270/300WM. My favorite is the 270/300WM (28" 8 twist) which easily runs 3500fps with a 130g, 3320fps with a 150g, 3220fps with a 170g. The 270/300WM is easy to form, just use a 300 Winchester magnum bushing die with an appropriate bushing. The 270 Sherman(270WIn based) basically duplicates a 270WSM(I use the same loads in both), which is also good with 130's running 3300fps. The 27 Nosler basically has the same performance as the 270/300WM in an over the counter rifle with factory ammo available.

You did okay, it's a bit long but we can figure this out and give you some thoughts in the right direction. When you write anything ".270" there's some dedicated diehards of the .277 caliber on here. So…this thread may end up being as long as your opening question. From your opening dissertation 😆 you reload, so with that you have a number of options. If you want to stay with a factory SAMMI cartridge I would recommend a .270WSM, if you want to hurl heavy bullets with that .270 WSM then build it with a 1:8 twist. However...if you are using this rifle for deer hunting hurling heavy bullets might not be the answer, especially if you have a lot of bullets already in stock. I definitely would stay away from the "new" designer hot rod 27s out there. They are barrel burners and they are expensive to shoot "if" you can find the brass. A box of 27 Nosler brass right now is $118 for 25 pieces, .270 Weatherby mag brass is running less, they're only $65 for 20 pieces: and...I didn't look hard but where I did look they were out of stock. What I have found for the "new" designer dinosaur killers is that they get splashed across the cover of every gun magazine available, and....then after a year or two the brass and the availability of the cartridge in a particular rifle is not longer available.

If you want something that is different that does have some horsepower in the .277 caliber you might want to take a very close look at the .270 Ackley Improved. I built one for myself and then I built one for my son a short time later. I still do not understand the reasoning behind why someone has not looked to get this cartridge SAAMI approved and factory supported. P.O. Ackley did not have a whole lot of good things to say about improving the .270 Winchester, however that was a 100 years ago when the powders we have today were not available. I am running a 150gr Nosler ABLR out of a Lilja 26 inch barrel getting 3100fps. With that said with a 200 yard zero the bullet is 1.25 inches high at 100 yards and 5.7 (6 inches) low at 300 yards. At 300 yards that bullet is still carrying 2300 ft-lbs of energy. I can get 3300fps out of the cartridge, however my rifle likes the 3100fps load so that is what I'm shooting. For me personally this is all of the whitetail cartridge that I need. I'd say as an elk cartridge as well, but I have never been on an elk hunt and after 76 orbits around the sun the probability of that happening is not too good. I keep saying that I am going to play with the 130 grain bullets, I have some 130gr and some 140gr Accubonds, just haven't gotten around to them as of yet. It has been a while since I played with the .270 AI, I've posted a photo of a 300 yard target that was shot. The rifle is a Ruger 77, the action has been blueprinted/squared, glass and pillar bedded, with a 26 inch, 1:10 Lilja barrel that is contoured to the factory spec barrel. The barrel is a hunting barrel so two shots do very well, the third shot wants to open up the groups a bit more. With all that I have written here, conduct an honest and true comparison with these ballistics to the "new" designer cartridges out there. I am using less powder (powder=weight=recoil), components are readily available and the cartridge is easy to load for.
Thanks for the info I've thought about doing a 270 ackley as well I've really been researching/ wanting another 270 wsm but brass seems hard to find for it I looked again last night and couldn't find any instock

Last edited:
How far do you need to make you're shots? Also what a 270 won't cover will your 30cal take care of? Unless you are shooting game past 450 yards the 270 WIN is the easy answer. I have a custom built 270Win that shoots Hornady Superformance 140SST bullets at a MV of 3100fps ACCURATELY !!! Now that covers a lot of distance for deer sized game. 150 Partitions or 150 Fusions will shoot in a standard twist barrel and robust enough for elk.

Poster you said that you are a 308 person. The 308 has much less energy than a standard 270 win. By about 10 grains of powder. Also look up modern powders with 270 win. I use the Reloader 23,25,26, Superformance, mag pro, and ramshot magnum. I have a 24 inch 308 and basically a 308 get the same velocity 150 grain as my 270 win 26 inch using 150 grain both right near 3100 fps. The 277 wins on BC and SD.

I've used up to 190 grain VLD out of my 29 inch 270 win. Mixed emotions about 175 Matrix hunting bullets results. I shot hundreds of rounds at the range each year at 600 yards. Perfecting my rounds, skill, and using a 8X32 56mm scope. Then both years of deer hunting I shot bucks at under 150 yards. Both of them stood there like nothing happened and after a long wait they tried to move and fell over. Both had .277 size exit holes. No lungs left. The 169.5 wildcat hunting Vlds are a great round with faster than 10 twist barrels. I've got 1500 pound Buffalo with the 150's and 140's SPBT's.

270 win only lost out because no one ever made the heavy VLD bullets in that cal. No matter where you go it seems like you can find ammo. I also have the AI for about 5-6 grains more powder. 270 win is kinda limited to about 62 grains and the AI 67 gr. using something like Retumbo

Thanks for the info I've thought about doing a 270 ackley as well I've really been researching/ wanting another 270 win but brass seems hard to find for it I looked again last night and couldn't find any instock
If you're looking for Peterson or Lapua their runs are few and far between; but..they do happen. Graf and sons will sell them when they do a run. I started using once fired stuff when I started reloading for the Ackley. I figured that I'd rather wreck inexpensive WInchester brass learning how to fire form instead of something expensive. If you get jammed up I "think" I might have some WInchester or RP brass kicking around, PM me if you get jammed up. Im pretty sure that I just saw a couple of places online selling once fired, same brand brass. This is a great cartridge with good ballistics/performance with the 150gr bullets even the designer cartridges really are not worth chasing after.

Thanks for the info I've thought about doing a 270 ackley as well I've really been researching/ wanting another 270 win but brass seems hard to find for it I looked again last night and couldn't find any instock
my buddy just bought 400. Not pre plandemic 10 cents a piece.