.277,140gr 3000fps+ in a 16" bbl @ 80000psi

The mil contract will have wear/replacement specs also, I'm interested in seeing what "proprietary" battle coatings or surface treatmentthey use to meet the "wear specs"

Even of this cartridge doesnt live up to full hype I think we will see advanced technology from ot that may help increase our "every day" cartridges, rifles, and barrels.

If it will do 3000+ in a 16" does that push it to 3300 in a short action 24" barrel? Just have to wait to see.

At 80,000 psi that bullet should scream out of a 24" barrel, outrageous out of a 26-28". Must be super fast powder to burn it all up in a 16" otherwise its all muzzle flash.

I have to agree with JE Custom. The last thing anyone needs is to see how it feels to use their skull as a bolt stop. I have unfortunately seen the results of a double charged black power rifle explosion with a breech plug in the right eye and cheek bone. Pushing the envelope on pressure is much more dangerous than most reloaders understand. The load that will blow your gun to pieces rarely does it on the first try unless there is a major mistake.

I'm curious why they are are so stuck on the 16" barrel. If it's overall length of the platform, you can go bullpup and have a much longer barrel for ballistics purposes and still be in a "standard" chambering that can far exceed the 140 grain bullet at 3000fps. Seems like an answer to a question nobody had asked until SIG or the military decided this is a must have capability. Barrel life and the potential of failure with a three piece case design would be a major concern as well. Dissimilar metals of the case over years of storage could easily lead to case separation and get a person killed in a battle with half the case still in the chamber. Maybe it will be the greatest thing ever but count me skeptical.
Part of this is knowing that the barrels are not going to last very long with full auto and with teenage gunners. Easier to carry multiple spares with you. Part of the spec for the machine gun is a very quick and easy barrel change. I hope it delivers what our warfighters need but I don't believe this round will be a reloader's friend.

Just my 2 cents.

Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) < https://www.beretta.com/en-us/beretta-ngsw/ >

True Velocity Extends Performance Benefits of 'Next Gen' 6.8 TVCN Cartridge to Currently Fielded Weapons < https://www.tvammo.com/press-releases >

TVCM Next Squad.PNG

277 SIG furry and cross rifle -- yes, 80000psi

They say it is reloadable and will have components offered in the future, uses a new powder

Looks like a 277-308ai, wont chamber in any 308 variant. They claim a 6.5 version in the future and also magnum calibers. They claim a rem700 action will handle the pressures but dont recomend it as it will put undue wear on it. ( think bolt thrust thread if you understand bolt thrust) cases have a thin/light ss head mechanically bonded to a brass case. Will be saami approved early this year. If they win the mil mg contract then there will be cheap ammo. They have 3 types of ammo planned right now that would be avail to public in 2020: 140fmj, 135 otm, 140 bt-- and others for mil like ap, etc.
Doesnt look like it will be designed for lr, high bc bullets-- more like 130-150 range, we'll see.
Where does this all end!!!!@

You can't believe all you read on the internet. However, I did read that the bullets are secured in the polymer case with a proprietary glue that is not available for sale. Same article said the ammunition would not be for sale to civilians for some time and that it would not be reloadable??? I am pretty sure it was on the True Velocity website but it may have been a company stock evaluation. It looks like a great product. Airplanes and warfighters can carry 30-40% more ammunition with no weight penalty.

General Dynamics NGSW 6.8mm US Army Prototype Live Fire

NGSW PSI A.PNG

" - - - commercial version of the round I tested was sending a 135 grain Sierra Match King out of the muzzle at just under 3000 feet per second while generating only 60,315 PSI in chamber pressure."

Last edited: